GATED COMMUNITIES IN PUERTO RICO: ACCESS CODES and REMOTES must be provided to the WATCHTOWER CORPORATION by APRIL 23, 2013...

by Calebs Airplane 33 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Despite the respect afforded the First Amentment, I can't imagine any federal judge wanted Jws to bother them on the judges private property. Justice Douglas, one of the most renowned civil liberties proponents wrote eloquently about the right to be left alone. There are several ways for communities to comply with the court order and legally restrict the Witnesses.

This order may cause the WT less access in the long term. Now the communities will not be so lazy. I was taught not to run to court for a variety of reasons.

Jws should have access to public streets. I thought they have no right to enter public property. When they come to my door, I demand to know which fellow resident invited them to enter. Without a name and phone number, I tell them I will call the local precinct immediately. Yet members post here that you must ruin the value of your residence and post a No Trespassing sign. Has the law changed without my knowledge - - Courts worship property rights. I am puzzled. i

• Open mind
    Open mind

BOTR : "I thought they have no right to enter public property."

I think you mean "private", correct?

The phrase I remember hearing all the time was that the pathway, or most direct route, to a resident's front door is an implied invitation unless the JW, poll taker, nosey neighbor, etc. has been told to leave.

om

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

What law are the referencing I pay very close attention to these cases but I can't check them daily. Also, the Court has been conservative. Is this WT spin or actual law. It makes no sense to me. Where is the legal citation to back this argument. Also, has anyone read where can public street turns into private property the stairs, door, lawn, or actual property boundaries There has to be a rule

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

Band on the Run... sorry I missed your question...

This law originated in 1987. Basically, it allows certain exisiting neighborhoods and future developments to close off the neighborhood and create limited access points (usually 1 but sometimes 2). These access points (or front gate, if you like) are intended to simply "control" vehicle access. This means that a guard is placed at the front gate and will ask everyone who doesn't have a remote (to open the gate) what they intend to do once they enter the gate (visit someone, pass out fliers, whatever). The gaurd then writes down the license plate and the visitor is free to enter since all streets in Puerto Rico are considered to be public.

However, over the years, people on the island have slowly lost sight of the intent of this law and it later became a generally accepted assumption that only residents and visitors were allowed access (aside from the obvious... trash pick-up, FedEx, UPS, etc.).

It's a little more complicated than that... but that's the gist of it...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit