Facebook 101, Help for Faders

by Gojira_101 15 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My oldest son just said to me something about the government installing more cameras to watch people. He said it too close to Big Brother for him (he read '1984' last year). I told him we're already there.

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

YUP - your THREAD is "spot on"

Thats why I DONT HAVE FB anymore- you HIT IT OUT OF THE PARK!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Good morning, gojira unbagged. Great suggestion thread. mrsjones, here are surveillance concerns for the UK, where there is one closed circuit camera for every 14 citizens.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6108496.stm

Keep in mind, it was likely personal videos that caught the Boston bombers.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Gojira:

I like Facebook but am well aware that nothing you post will remain hidden.

Even if you set your privacy settings a certain way, Facebook has been known to change them on a whim and everything you have will be "out". I saw this happen the end of 2009 and it was fun to see everybody's photos and friends that they thought they had hidden. Also, you have no control of whether Facebook is bought out by somebody else in the future and all the rules go out the window.

Because of the nosey nature of JWs, I have unfriended just about all of them. Makes life simpler. I don't mind people looking at my profile, but the idea that people are looking because they want to get "dirt" on somebody is despicable.

By the way, I would never have joined that recent group that is having all the trouble now. I just knew it would be trouble for "faders".

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

Gojira_101,

Thanks for sharing good advice. What you point out is one of the precise reasons why I shut down my facebook account long, long ago. The other reason was because of all the nuisance requests to “friend” someone (or whatever is the term).

Marvin Shilmer

• Gojira_101
    Gojira_101

I think most of the time people don't know how open their lives are....There is no privacy.

I remember before I deleted all my JW friends and family from my Facebook, my husband's sister Stacy was spying on me and keeping track of my comments to my sister-in-law Wanda, the wife of hubby's brother Jerry. Wanda and Jerry had just had a baby and posting pictures of the new little one and so I made the customary nice comments "Oh she's so cute, look at that smile, she looks like you or she looks like Jerry...etc"

So Stacy calls up my husband and is asking him what he thinks of me talking to Wanda and becoming buddy buddy with Wanda. The my mother-in-law calls up my hubby and pretty much does the same thing and then warning my hubby to watch me because I will turn into a horrible person like Wanda (Wanda is not a terrible person, other than being a JW that is ). Later I find out Stacy and my mother-in-law are gossiping about me and of course it is all false stuff, and they lied to my hubby and told him I did some things. Thankfully my hubby knew right away they were lying because I never keep anything from him...

So I'm the type of person who will confront you if I have a problem with you, so that is what I did to Stacy and my mother-in-law. The Sh*t fit the fan and we all got covered in it, so I told both of them enough and deleted them from my Facebook...to this day Stacy will not talk to me and my mother-in-law is still bat crap crazy anyways. And the rest of the family all think I evil now because of what Stacy told them...Just wait til they find out I'm an evil apostate! Anyways all I was doing was telling Wanda nice things about her baby. Most of the members from my hubby's very large family hate me. I don't care because they are all terrible people anyways, and I don't just mean because they are JW's

See how Facebook can turn on you?

Just keep a weathered eye out my friends!!!

And thank you for not lynching me!

Gojira

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit