Is It Wrong to Change Your Religion?

by gcs7000 17 Replies latest jw friends

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

You can see this type compartmentalization going on in the thinking of Anthony Morris when he says "Were not against education that's rediculous, we are pro-education" but uses compartmentalization with his cognition of the difference between divine ed. and higher ed. and equates the difference to a life and death matter causing a even more extreme compartmentalization between the 2.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

This just amazes me. The jws encourage ones in the world to have an open mind to the possiblity to change their beliefs, yet a jw cannot have an open mind to accept a line of thinking other than the WTS nor change their beliefs. It is wrong and stupid to force such a line of thinking upon their members. It is the old line of thinking that I have the true religion and all others are false.

• out4good3
    out4good3

If you're changing from being a JW to something else........yes....

• jws
    jws

The JWs taught me one thing. The message in going from door to door was if your religion is wrong, leave it. So I did.

I now believe it is wrong to "change" religions. You should shed yourself of religion completely.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

marking. I need to remember that quote for future discussions with my JW family.

• steve2
    steve2

The Watchtower and Double Standards go together like prostitutes and sex.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_thought

Such ideas are also a vital part of international human rights law. In the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), which is legally binding on member states of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, freedom of thought is listed under Article 18:

Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.

The Human Rights Committee states that this, "distinguishes the freedom of thought, conscience, religion or belief from the freedom to manifest religion or belief. It does not permit any limitations whatsoever on the freedom of thought and conscience or on the freedom to have or adopt a religion or belief of one's choice. These freedoms are protected unconditionally." [ 2 ] Similarly, Article 19 of the UDHR guarantees that "Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference..."

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

Perhaps the WTS should consider the idea that it's wrong for religion to change.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit