Is It Wrong to Change Your Religion?

by gcs7000 17 Replies latest jw friends

• gcs7000
    gcs7000

“No one should be forced to worship in a way that he finds unacceptable or be made to choose between his beliefs and his family.” (From the article, “Is It Wrong to Change Your Religion?” July 2009 AWAKE!, page 28)

The average Jehovah’s Witness would view this statement as applying to changing one’s religion in order to become a JW, but not the other way around, thus revealing a double standard on the part of the Watch Tower Society. (See Proverbs 20:10 NIV)

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Welcome. Print it out and put it on your wall, it's a very handy quote to have around...

• caliber
    caliber

great scripture & reasoning thanks !

However this "justification" is given..... Jw's when asked by someone "I have taken your literature

now why won't you take mine ?" JW's are told to remind themselves "We cannot exchange the truth for a lie"

.....just as lieing is justified because the one asking has no "assumed right" to know the real truth that could cause harm to the liar

Having "the truth " triumps any would be rights of others

Strange also how you don't just know certain truths... but you are "in the truth " surrounded and protected from all

the evil reasoning of those who are merely "in the world "

• Mum
    Mum

Iit's hard to believe they have the nerve to print things like this! Is it just to make householders who read the mag to think JW's are normal?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The witlesses think it's wrong to refrain from joining them, and that it's wrong to change once you become one. Never mind that one should be challenging their religion--even their own LIE-ble says so. And if your challenge leads you to realize the witlesses are wrong, you need to dump them for being false prophets. Even if you realize the whole of Christi-SCAM-ity is wrong, by all means dump it too.

• free2beme
    free2beme

I changed to witchcraft

• smiddy
    smiddy

I changed to atheism

smiddy

• smiddy
    smiddy

Jehovahs Witnesses have a habit of seeing the splinter in anothers eye , yet never seeing the rafter in their own eye .

smiddy

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I could forsee the J W response to this as being something like :

" Of course you have a perfect right to change your beliefs and religion if you wish. If you are no longer a Witness we will not bar you from our meetings but of course not to take an a part in them. The congregation and your family also have the right to decline to associate with you and should not feel obliged to do so"

The falsehood in that, of course, is that the family and congregation do not shun you of their own choosing. They are ordered to do so on pain of potential disfellowshipping themselves. Even though most families long to be able to embrace d/f'd members, they must not do so. That is why many of us are forced to choose and so must the families

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

The article, “Is It Wrong to Change Your Religion?” from the July 2009 Awake is a good example of psychlogical compartmentalization in the psyche of the Governing Body.

In their reasoning they cannot see the connection in their actions being judged as violating anything the article condemns in other religions. They also have a blind eye for many things they condemn other religions for when it comes to their actions. They inadvertantly project their own badness or shadow onto their choosen enemies, this has been a major psychological flaw which has served them well for decades to exploit other's naïveté, but must come to an end eventually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compartmentalization_(psychology)

Compartmentalization is an unconscious psychological defense mechanism used to avoid cognitive dissonance, or the mental discomfort and anxiety caused by a person's having conflicting values, cognitions, emotions, beliefs, etc. within themselves.

Compartmentalization allows these conflicting ideas to co-exist by inhibiting direct or explicit acknowledgement and interaction between separate compartmentalized self states. [1]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit