It's official, women are finally equal to men. I concede.

by Theocratic Sedition 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

http://exministries.wordpress.com/2013/04/16/error-of-man-stand-up-and-pee-like-a-man/

For a long time, Samantha Fountain had one mission—figure out a way to allow women to pee like men. What she came up with may give you the giggles. But the plastic horn-shaped device, dubbed a “SheWee,” has become a hot commodity for ladies looking for a mess-free way to use the bathroom standing up. In fact, Fountain has turned her idea into an international business.

The device is easy to use (though the website suggests practicing in the shower first). And Fountain says it appeals to more than just the germ-o-phobe who’d rather avoid coming in contact with public toilets. England’s National Health System gives SheWees to patients who would otherwise use a bedpan. And the country’s army supplies them to female soldiers in the field.

“It struck me how much easier it was for a guy to go to the toilet in a place where there were no facilities or nowhere to squat behind,” Fountain wrote in an email. “So I came up with a way of effectively urinating like a man.”

The idea for the SheWee came to Fountain while she was pursuing a product design degree at De Montfort University. A professor asked her class to figure out how to improve public toilet facilities. Immediately, Fountain knew she wanted to make it easier for women to avoid touching a toilet. But her first idea—designing retractable seats that could be washed after every use—proved a bit impractical.

She kept brainstorming, and eventually built the first-ever SheWee out of plywood. Her professors were impressed, and encouraged her to refine her prototype. In 1999, Fountain received a fellowship to work on her design with plastic manufacturers. She also began working with a family friend (and businessman) to create a business plan and find backers. And Fountain’s parents lent their support in the form of a room in their house to serve as her home office.

But the encouragement was mixed with sniggers and doubts. She got “few laughs and some disgusted men or women who were simply embarrassed by the design,” Fountain wrote in an email. The most public giggler was Theo Paphitis, a judge on Dragons’ Den, a British television show that invites entrepreneurs to pitch their ideas to a panel of wealthy judges. The winners receive investments, and losers leave with nothing.

Paphitis laughed throughout her entire presentation, and Fountain didn’t win any start-up money. Still, she looked on the bright side. “Most people who made rude comments are those who go on to shout [and] laugh about Shewee (negative or positive) to others—so it always helps our publicity,” she wrote in an email.

Despite that setback, Fountain continued on. She left her day job to focus on the SheWee fulltime in January 2005. A year later she received an award from the British Female Inventors and Innovators Network (see photo above). By 2007, she had left her parent’s home and opened her own office. She now has 10 employees, a worldwide customer base, and a spot on the shelf of dozens of retail outlets. The Shewee is also sold on a plethora of websites which serve athletes and adventurers. Among the clientele are female mountain climbers, campers, rescue workers, and marathon athletes.

What kept her going through the toughest times? “The emails and support from people who buy Shewee and the fact that magazines were raving about the product,” Fountain wrote in an email. It seems those are in no danger of slowing down any time soon. [The SheWee is being sold now on Amazon for $12.50.]

• Glander
    Glander

My wife has often pointed out the convenience we men enjoy when it comes to this frequent body function. I have to agree. But this little gizmo for women who have female genitalia (?) could really catch on. My only question is - Is it worn or is it just applied when needed? If so, how does one keep it clean? I suppose it can be rinsed when hands are washed.

Anyway, very interesting.

• ballistic
    ballistic

This just takes the piss!

• Mum
    Mum

Very Freudian. No more penis envy.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

That's hilarious. After its used, what do you do with it? Put it in a plastic ziploc baggie for next time?

• Badfish
    Badfish

I wonder how many jokes she gets about her last name.

• talesin
    talesin

That's been around for years ... at least 15 or 20 .. for anyone who is into hiking and/or living in the woods, you have most likely heard of it. I've had friends who tried them, and they are sloppy. Squat and use a (not poison oak/ivy) leaf is still the best method, though it would be useful in subzero conditions, or for example, on a boat. whatever.

t

• talesin
    talesin

lol, and as for penis envy.. well, I'm kinda glad I don't have somethin' swangin' off the front of my body ... it looks like y'all must always feel kinda exposed and the need for protection. No, thanks. I'll take the vagina any day, over the penis.

xo

tal

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Jealous of a penis? 'fraid not. A penis can't birth no baby. Picture pushing an 8 pounder out that small little hole. Owie!

• talesin
    talesin

lol,,, made me think of the quote attributed to Betty White (but Snopes says it's a myth).

Why do people say 'Grow some balls?' Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding.

http://www.searchquotes.com/quotation/Why_do_people_say_%27Grow_some_balls%3F%27_Balls_are_weak_and_sensitive._If_you_wanna_be_tough%2C_grow_a_vag/340314/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit