Progressive Insurance Snapshot?

by skeeter1 11 Replies latest social family

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

My review of Snapshot

Ok, I got Snapshot, used it for one day, and took it out. It's boxed up and ready to be returned tomorrow.

I am also in the process of buying new insurance, at 50% of the cost (same coverage)!

The Snapshot was easy to install. But, I got 6 "hard brakes" on one trip. The device beeped 3 times, as if I had made an error. But, I was driving very good, and there was no way anyone would ever consider my brakes to be "hard." I was driving as if my grandmother was my co-pilot. I was breaking for a light that turned yellow/red when I got 2 of my infractions. The others were just normal stops.

So, I came home and looked on the Internet. Reputable posters were also mad at Snapshot. They said that one gets a hard brake if one decellerates more then 7 mph. Just stopping at a red light, hard brake. You have to "coast in" from several hundred yards back to have the slow enough decelleration. Oddly enough, accelerating quickly does not get you any beep or go against your record. So, if you see a yellow light . . . .gun it to beat the red light and you will be rewarded with a lower rate! Other posters swore that the device caused electrical problems.

So, I decided to get a new rate quote. Esurance was 50% lower, and NO snapshot.

(I've been a Progressive customer for over 10 years, Emerald club, super clean driver . . . sorry, but Flo got to go)!

Skeeter

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

All insurance companies in the USA contribute to shared data-bases like CLUE. Lots of Data mining. I would never put one of those things on my car.

Lots of state insurance commisioner sites have every companies rates for a given type of customer on a public spreadsheet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit