Progressive Insurance Snapshot?

by skeeter1 11 Replies latest social family

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Anyone try this "Snapshot" tool that snaps into your vehicle to save on auto insurancel? We are going to try it. Let you know if I get savings. I don't drive much, if any, these days. I might drive about 100 miles a week, in total.

Any other ideas to save on insurance, greatly appreciated.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I have Progressive but never got it. From what I heard it essentially checks how many "quick brakes" you have. A certain deceleration under a certain amount of time. Which, you can't really control what other people are doing on the road so sometimes you have to brake quick.

However, from what I've read online, lots of people did lower their car insurance rates.

Of course, now I'm not driving (since my car has been dead since November) so I can't speak from firsthand experience.

EDIT: To add: If you don't tailgate people, you will probably do just fine.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Ahhh.. tail gate = rear ending = neck injuries = $$$$ out for insurance companies.

Well, I'll let you know if I save. Seeing the blogs, other people save alot of money. 30% for our family is $400 a year. That pays for alot of vacation.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Skeeter,

I was handed one of these things to look at and decided put it on my best Tucker saddle. So far my insurance has not increased, and Lawyer can stop on a dime.

Marvin

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

my problem with this is: will they sell your driving info to others?

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

I have Progressive and am pretty happy with the overall insurance "experience" (necessary evil:-), but on this one I am with DaCheech.

Not only driving info in terms of driving style, but if outfitted with GPS, timestamped route and whereabouts info as well...stored, archived and available for data mining indefinitely...

Call me paranoid, but this is just a bit much for my liking.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

From what I heard it essentially checks how many "quick brakes" you have.

Well, jeez. Yesterday I had to "quick brake" twice because of apparently suicidal squirrels! I was inside my apartment complex, not on the main road, so there were no other moving vehicles around.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

your car has whats called an "obd-II" connector (in which this gizmo plugs into) that communicates all car computer readings..........

I'm sure they are also using ALL transmitted data, including inspection readiness monitors and such.

• Incognito
    Incognito

DaCheech said:

I'm sure they are also using ALL transmitted data, including inspection readiness monitors and such.

The question natuarally arises, who owns the data that is stored in your onboard computer?

I would argue that as I pay for the vehicle, I own the data and if I didn't sign a specific agreement to allow access of that data to anyone, no-one has the right to and is a violation of privacy to access or view my data.

That said, my current vehicle is equipped with 'On-Star' so I don't know what information is being transmitted whenever I'm on the road.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Do other insurance firms have it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit