U.S. Chronic Pain Patients -- No More Pain Meds

by Lady Lee 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

The American Pain Foundation has closed its doors due to lack of funding and a growing hostile environment towards those who suffer with chronic pain.

With deep regret and heavy hearts, we sadly inform you that due to irreparable economic circumstances, APF must cease to exist, effective immediately. On May 3, 2012, the Board of Directors formally voted to dissolve the organization.

The Board and staff have worked tirelessly over many months to address a significant gap between available financial resources and funds needed to remain operational. Unfortunately, the economic situation has not changed in any meaningful way, despite our best efforts.

APF hopes to be able to transfer content from various information, education, and support programs to other organizations so that you may continue to benefit from the value these programs have provided to thousands of individuals and families across the country.

Your personal experiences in living with pain and seeking compassion, empathy and medical care – often against the odds -- have driven our efforts over these many years. This includes enactment of key provisions of the National Pain Care Policy Act in the Health Reform Bill that led to a landmark report issued in 2011 by the Institutes of Medicine. This report documents the shocking numbers of US citizens that live with pain and calls for immediate changes to address gaps in care. Despite this, the current climate towards improving the plight of people with pain in the US continues to be precarious and hostile.

As you unfortunately know, the need for public outcry around the needs of Americans struggling with pain conditions is greater today than ever before in light of the multi-front assault occurring daily on our right to dignified care. Misguided state and federal policies are impeding access to appropriate and reasonable medical care for people struggling with pain, and deterring even the most compassionate medical providers from treating anyone with pain conditions.

It is therefore critical that each of you raise your voices singularly and together to demand the care you deserve. It is only by continuing to demand attention to the ever-worsening barriers and unacceptable suffering that change will occur.

Elected officials, policy makers, and the media need to keep hearing from each and every one of you so they are not allowed to walk away from the consequences of this over-looked public health and medical problem. Please know that although APF will cease to exist, the resolve and commitment among individuals on the Board and staff remain strong.

http://www.painfoundation.org/

Medical News Today reports:

Such findings are noteworthy as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and some states mull limits to opioid prescribing as a means to halt a rising tide of prescription drug abuse and overdose deaths. An FDA panel held a two-day public hearing in February to gather stakeholder testimony as it weighs labeling changes for opioid dosage, indication and treatment duration for noncancer pain.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/259020.php (last paragraph)

I cannot imagine how any of you will manage. I suffer from chronic pain. Most of the time it is controlled by the non-opoid meds I take. But every now and then the pain soars and nothing will touch except an opioid med. I suffered for years with intractable pain. Life was just misery waiting for the next break in the pain. My heart goes out to you if you wind up losing the meds that make your lives liveable.

• jgnat
    jgnat

My son was given opoids for a couple days after reconstructive surgery of his shoulder. Even though he had abused drugs in the past, those blessed couple days free of pain I am sure speeded his healing.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I really feel for those who have to walk the line between pain relief, and addiction. I'm sober as are some of my associattes. However, two of them have injuries that require pain releif. Problem is, they're addicts.

Personally, I hate the feeling of being "drugged". But when I had a kidney infection, which feels like kidney stones, I realized the need.

Do people in other countries face the same issue with opiates? Are they prescribed too often?

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

When my father suffered uncontrolled pain of back to back shoulder surgeries, and tooth abcess, and back pain, while he had parkinsons he then progressed rapidly in his parkinsons symptoms. irreversablly.

I also believe the pain he had from his cancer surgery also set him back for his body to heal.

I an fully in agreement with pain mamagement, not allowing it to be uncontrolled, so you can use less pain medications in the long run. Uncontrolled pain needs way more pain medication to try to get it under control again.

• jgnat
  • jgnat
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

I suffer from pain issues and I dont know what I would do without pain meds, it helps me live a relativly normal life. I have to go to a pain clinic every three months, they usually make me give a urine sample, I have to answer a bunch of questions. The pharmacy also makes it difficult. You cannot email opiate perscriptions, and it is tightly monitored, so they are always bitching about something (why are there two different colored inks? Why is the signature so small?) And they are often out of them, even when I tell them ahead of time I will be filling a perscription, so then I have to go to another pharmacy (or 3). The script is pre-dated, I cannot fill them ahead of time, so it's very inconvenient. I finally told them, "Look, if you have any concerns about anything, call the clinic, I have nothing to do with any of it". That has stopped the questions, at least for now. It's bad enough I have this horrible condition, but being treated like a junkie just makes it worse. I worry they will decide I dont need the meds and cut me off. I honestly do not know what I would do. I have even considered medical mj, but hesitate due to my husband's job, as he would have to disclose that I was doing that. I keep looking for a solution to my condition, but it's very difficult and complicated. I found a specialized physical therapy that gives me some relief, but the insurance does not pay for it and it's $200 per visit, so I can't afford to go very often.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I don't know what my Partner would do were he to be cut off from his meds. Even with them, he cries out in his sleep all night long, and when he is awake, he can't even be still because he hurts. I fear that there may come a day when a disaster or something else happens where people can't get the medications they need to survive. We both make it a point to sometimes take a little less of our different meds (Heart meds, depression meds, etc) so that we can put a few aside in case something happens and we aren't able to get them anymore or if we accidently run out. The thing is, a person can't put too many away for an emergency for fear of being accused of being a dealer or something even if you do have the proof that they are yours. It's just like storing food for an emergency, the Gov't tells you to store extra in case of an emergency, yet in the next breath they say that you are a potential terrorist if you have too much food saved up. They make it to where you just can't win no matter what you do.

There's going to be a lot of people with legitimate pain issues who are going to suffer not only with pain, but terrible withdrawal because all of a sudden they can't get their meds, and they didn't get a chance to wean themselves off of them to avoid some of the negative effects of withdrawal. It's sad and scary.

• Deceived
    Deceived

I suffer from constant chronic pain and have for about 6 years. Its so bad now I am in tears most of the time. My doctor and most doctors here in Canada won't give you pain meds as they are afraid to be charged and lose their licence. So many people have abused the system that now those who need it can't get it. I use extra strength tylenol or sometimes advil twice a day. It barely takes the edge off of the pain but you learn to cope.

I have severe disc degeneration, severe osteoarthritis in the lower back, I broke my arm and tore my rotater cuff and that still hurts everyday, I have severe MS so my right leg and foot don't work and I have no circulation now and so there is a kind of weird pain there. Now my hands and wrists hurt and throb as I put a lot of strain on them with my mobility issues.

I am not sure if pain meds would be good on a constant basis though as it brings more health issues to us if used daily? Liver problems perhaps.

Too bad doctors wouldn't focus more on treating what causes the pain with therapy and diet etc rather than cover it up with drugs. I am talking chronic pain due to disease not injury. Injury is another issue and it is a crime to make people suffer in my opinion. grrrrr

• jgnat
    jgnat

I took this course for six weeks. It was well worth it. Even though my chronic condition is not painful, most of my classmates were managing chronic pain. I thought them very brave. The course includes some coping techniques that do not include pain medications.

http://patienteducation.stanford.edu/programs/cdsmp.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit