Anyone in AA?

by love2Bworldly 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I just joined Overeaters Anonymous to deal with my eating issues. Has anyone joined AA & did it help you? I just don't like how they tend to talk about God all the time. I am agnostic. So I decided to deal with it like this, my higher power is my higher self that is part of the collective positive field of energy of other positive people in which I draw strength & power from. I have never been in a 12 step program before.

Wish me luck.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

Brizzy belongs to AA, and I believe she heads one it's chapters.

Wish you luck on your problem. Food is a mofo!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I do attend AA meetings. It was the 1st place for my desire to take control over my life. Be prepared for a bunch of AA haters though. This topic has been beat up many times before.

I'm working on 2 years 9 months sober.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

Congratulations whahappened, I salute you.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Active in AA since Aug 29, 2005. Best years of my life.

• blondie
    blondie

Is OA a religious organization?

OA is not a religious society, since it requires no definite religious belief as a condition of membership. OA has among its membership people of many religious faiths as well as atheists and agnostics.

The OA recovery program is based on acceptance of certain spiritual values. Members are free to interpret these values as they think best, or not to think about them at all if they so choose.

Many individuals who come to OA have reservations about accepting any concept of a power greater than themselves. OA experience has shown that those who keep an open mind on this subject and continue coming to OA meetings will not find it too difficult to work out their own solution to this very personal matter.

-----------

I found that groups vary regarding how "religious" they are OA or AA or Al-Anon. I visited several Al-Anon groups till I found one that adjusted a great deal for non-religious people. Usually the phrase was a power greater than yourself and using the Serenity Prayer at the end rather than the Lord's Prayer. It helps to be in a support group, to face a challenge with others who understand, sort of like JWN.

• SkyGreen
    SkyGreen

This thread was recently bumped : Re: You just gotta read the story, Fade From the Truth, A Tale of Learning Then Unlearning the Beliefs of JWs

If you click on the link to the story, its a great read. The author himself is a recovering alcoholic, and found an AA group for Athiests and Agnostics - not sure how many would be around now, but why not contact AA and ask the question?

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Thanks for all the input. I think AA is a great organization. I think it is going to help me with issues I need a support system for.

• SkyGreen
    SkyGreen

I wish you the very best of luck, good on you for seeking help xx

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Congrats Wha Happened? I am 2 years 4 months and 10 days sober. I never did AA. My brother who is about 20 years sober still attends AA meetings. I don’t know much about AA. When I was IN it was always frowned upon because of it being like it’s own religion. From time to time I find myself wanting to start up (drinking) again. My brother has encouraged me to try a meeting. I’m not sure I want to. My biggest motivation is my wife and 2 kids. After the first 12 months it got a lot easier. But from time to time, it gets difficult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit