When Tragedy Strikes..............Someone Else

by BizzyBee 17 Replies latest social family

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

SD, thank you for posting about your experience. It sounds like you are doing the most practical and helpful thing possible, even though stepping back may not be your true nature!

I've been in the center ring and I've been in the outer rings. The important thing is to understand the relative value of each. I hope to never, ever, ever again be in the center ring. But if I must, I hope that those around me will try to understand - and likewise - I know that I have a better understanding of what they would want under those circumstances.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Great article. Thank you for posting it. My hubby is in the inner circle but I've had my share of certain people saying stupid shit about my hubby's condition and dumping on me. And I get mad as hell when folks try to dump on my hubby.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Very helpful, BB.

I recall when someone had her entire large intestine removed, due to severe IBD. She was cut from breastbone to pubic bone and left with an ileostomy. Then is when a woman she knew, but wasn't close to, called her. The first lady had been in intensive care for days. She had just been moved to a private room and still had all the tubes in. She was in incredible pain and a haze of pain meds, etc. The caller asked her, "Why didn't you just eat more fiber??"

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I get this!

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

BB, thanks for posting this info. Most likely than not, someone either knows someone or will know someone who is sick or with a terminal illness.

People, eventhough well meaning, often say the wrong things to a person who is ill. They are uncomfortable and sometimes frightened, especially when it is a terminal illness. And rather than think of how the ill person feels, they may be wrapped up in sorting out their own issues.

My mom was terminally ill and she desired to talk to her 'friends', but they bombarded her with unending questions and insensitive suggestions instead of listening.

Some friends and a family member wanted to unburden themselves to her so that they could feel better, not thinking how reliving the past was hurtful and distressing to her.

She became so distressed that she didn't want to have contact with them any longer. And I completely understood. Some were very selfish.

Eventually, I recognized it for what it was; it was about their own mortality! Everyone is scared of the unknown that may await them too.

If your family member or friend is ill, please think about their needs.

Love them.

Listen to them.

Be their friend.

Don't burden them with your issues over their illness.

Let them know what they mean to you.

Tell them how they have enriched your life.

Why you are proud you of them.

Reminisce over happy memories.

Watch the tone of your voice; don't speak to them as if they are a baby.

Touch them. Don't be afraid to touch them.

At the end of the day, no one wants to be a burden to anyone. If you can help someone, it is better that you do not wait for the ill person to call you, but for you to be pro-active and be specific with what, how and when you can assist them.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Oh, FHN! That reminds me of about 40 years ago when my paternal grandfather died. It was the first death of anyone close to me I'd experienced and I was devastated (plus we were all supposed to live forever). If fell to me to call my maternal grandmother with the news. I'll never forget - she sucked in her breath and then said, "Well, hon, you know their diet wasn't very good."

This ties in with what rip said,

it was about their own mortality!

So true! I won't get caught by the grim reaper because I eat plenty of fiber, buckle my seat belt, avoid sun exposure, drive carefully, exercise every day, get my checkups, etc., etc.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    it was about their own mortality!

So true! I won't get caught by the grim reaper because I eat plenty of fiber, buckle my seat belt, avoid sun exposure, drive carefully,

exercise every day, get my checkups, etc., etc.

May I also suggest: don't be in the wrong place at the wrong time, either.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Oh, good one.

"I won't be in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Yeah, "God is watching out for me because I'm special."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit