so now what?

by Kaltas1 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Kaltas1
    Kaltas1

Hi all

I don't really know what to say i'm a bit nervous. But I am new here and I want to say thank you all for these forums and the many contributions people have made.

For about 9 months I been frequenting here and other places on the net while I have undergone an in depth bible analysis. After finding that my bible is not consistant with the more favorable options of translating greek words especially in key doctinal areas, I have concluded the great unlikelyhood of Jehovah's witnesses having God's blessing and approval.

Not just that though. In ten years I had always had some feelings of uncertainty I suppose. even in a couple years of pioneering. Because really from the time I studied I used to use many translations and am skeptical a bit by nature.

I can't really figure out what held me in so long and got my 'zeal' boiling all the years, but its definately died down now.

I kinda am at a loss anymore about what to think. After considering many translations I only really find that the only ones that really tranlate in a literal way is mostly youngs literal translation and rotherham's. And finding out that the gospels under deep scrutiny are very contradictory in nature in a sense, and its hard to verify if the authors of the letters are really who they are claimed to be, and the somewhat different positions of those authors, it just doesn't feel like the bible has one author anymore.

All in all I still feel quite confidant otherwise of an intellegent designer, and it would stand to reason that if there was one he would likely want to have contact with his creations.

There are just so many thinks to think about but ya know I am just used to doing things about things rather than just sitting and pondering. I really find myself wanting to discuss things and maybe help people but I don't know what course to take to do it anymore.

But anyway I want to think everyone who helps contributes to these forums. It really has helped me break the spell.

• Mum
    Mum

You sound like you're being a bit impatient with yourself. It takes time to overcome the effects of being in a high control group.

Your research is impressive. Do you read and understand Greek?

Welcome to the forum.

Regards,

SandraC

• Kaltas1
    Kaltas1

I am trying to learn greek. Thank you. Still a beginner though definately. But I have also studied latin and know alot of common suffixes and prefixes and things. and I cross between studying codex vaticunus and the vulgate and try to compare things and look at what lexicons I can get ahold of.

Its really neat to study it in its original languages. like when you look at the greek for 'good news.' its actually the word angel in greek with the prefix for good. because angel means message, it is tranlated as good news. and of course in latin its evangel. and you can see ev angel which is good angel or good news.

so you start noticing things like how the word christ is used in the septuagint to refer to more than just jesus. it also refers to david and saul at least. because christo just means annointed. we just borrowed christus from latin and englishized it rather than translating the word.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Welcome. Keep in mind that recovery is a marathon.

• Kaltas1
    Kaltas1
    mar·a·thon

/'mar??THän/ Noun

1. A long-distance running race, strictly one of 26 miles and 385 yards (42.195 km).
    2. A long-lasting or difficult task or operation of a specified kind.

Yeah i totally agree with that. But really it doesn't take much research as it takes effort to convince my own mind to accept what i see. Its the mind part that is so hard. It just keeps going back to it. another hard thing is just getting married to another JW within the last two months :) But she actually can totally understand my concerns and has some of her own she said lastnight. So it pry will take a bit to recover.

• judi8751
    judi8751

Welcome to the Forum Kaltas, take your time you will get there, no rush...how long have you been out/fading?

I know when I was first out I was almost obsessive with reading different bible translations, it will slowly calm down for you

wish you well

• Gayle
    Gayle

One day at a time is important. Fortunately, your wife has concerns too. Enjoy your growth as you study more. You probably know more Greek, though a beginner, than any of the GB. Welcome and look forward to hearing more about your process. Best wishes to you both!

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

Sheeeze... this is the 3rd welcome post I have made today!

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

Welcome Kaltas,

Perhaps you can introduce yourself a bit more when you find the time.

• Kaltas1
    Kaltas1

Thank you all!

I started researching last april i think. I still have strong contacts in the hall. in fact this weekend they are throwing some kind of party for me and my wife. because she moved to my state so its like a welcome to tennessee reception.

I have actually managed to get away with going to 2nd shift with my job so now I got out of the midweek meetings. and got excuses enough to miss last three sundays too. No field service reports for 3 months.

The elders are wanting to check up on me so i guess its moving a little too fast maybe. but I think i can play stupid enough not to give myself away.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit