SCRIPTURAL DIVORCE

by The Searcher 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• QueenWitch
    QueenWitch

When my mother got her divorce, she got it "scripturally" by having 2 witnesses catch my father with someone else on 2 different occasions, one of the witnesses being my oldest brother. For the civil divorce it was mentally anguish or something. I wonder why she didn't use adultery for the civil divorce as well? Anyway, I remember her saying that after year 2 she was unhappy in the marriage but stayed married for 20 yrs. Granted, I wouldn't have been here had she left but I never understood why be miserable for so long. She said that he was verbally abusive and I think she said he hit her once. I remember they never showed affection to each other (kissing, hugging).

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The WTBTS will turn a blind eye to " unscriptural " divorce if the " believing " mate is experiencing " SPIRITUAL ENDANGERMENT." Which, by the way, is a false teaching. According to the scriptures, there is no such thing as a spiritual breaking point. Ironic.

• blondie
    blondie

While a jw may legally divorce their spouse, they cannot remarry scripturally on the issue of endangerment.

The references to endangerment actually mention "separation" in this case not divorce although there is no reason you can't divorce. The WTS somehow feels that being divorced puts that person in danger, temptation.

*** lv p. 221 The Bible’s View on Divorce and Separation ***

Absolute endangerment of spiritual life. A spouse may constantly try to make it impossible for the mate to pursue true worship or may even try to force that mate to break God’s commands in some way. In such a case, the threatened mate would have to decide whether the only way to “obey God as ruler rather than men” is to obtain a legal separation.—Acts 5:29.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Nice reference Blondi. I stand corrected. I have heard of cases where the believing mate leaves the " apostate " and gets all kinds of love and support from the friends and sometime Elder's who are family members. I guess the believing mate cannot remarry according to that article.

The sad thing is that many issues are caused by the WTBTS by going beyond the things written. Even if we are talking separation, " absolute endangerment of spiritual life " does not exist. Perhaps they came up with " spiritual life " as an alternative to a person's physical life? This spiritual endangerment creates a loop-hole and let's the WTBTS keep their hardline stance about divorce. Having your spiritual life in danger can be a get out of jail free card for some. I'm just rambling and thinking out loud.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit