SCRIPTURAL DIVORCE

by The Searcher 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

I am genuinely in the dark on this one;

Can someone with experience of this explain to me what a "scriptural divorce" is?

I have always believed what Christ said was the ONLY basis for divorce. Has the Org initiated other "justifiable" reasons for divorce?

Thanks for any replies.

• zeb
    zeb

according to the wts divorce can only be scriptural if one party has had sex with someone else. ie adultery. Not violence, not alcoholism, drugs crime nothing just sex.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Which just illustrates why it is so silly to run your life based on stuff written around 2000 years ago.

If you are in a totally toxic relationship you have the right to another chance of happiness by getting out of the relationship, regardless of what they thought all those years ago.

• Splash
    Splash

You can have an unscriptural divorce, but then remarrying will make you guilty of adultery.

Splash

• judi8751
    judi8751

The only JW criteria for divorce is adultery....so whatever abuse you going through,you got to stick it out and wait on Jehovah......crazy !!!!

• transhuman68
  • blondie
    blondie

There was a time when having sex with someone of the same sex or bestiality was not grounds, but it is now. But remember that the Israelite men could divorce their wives for frivolous reasons or so-called valid reasons.

(Deuteronomy 24:1) 24 “In case a man takes a woman and does make her his possession as a wife, it must also occur that if she should find no favor in his eyes because he has found something indecent on her part, he must also write out a certificate of divorce for her and put it in her hand and dismiss her from his house.

*** w99 8/15 p. 30 Questions From Readers ***

The Mosaic Law had regulations about marriage and engagement. For example, a man could have more than one wife; he could obtain a divorce on various grounds, though apparently a wife could not. (Exodus 22:16, 17; Deuteronomy 24:1-4

*** cf chap. 10 p. 104 par. 16 “It Is Written” ***

For instance, the Law allowed a man to divorce his wife if he found “something indecent” on her part, evidently some serious problem that brought shame on the household. (Deuteronomy 24:1)

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

The only grounds for divorce is "proof" (which in and of itself is subjective - see elders manual) of adultery. But there are plenty of other reasons to get a separation. If the elders feel that the reason you chose to get separated was a good one (i.e. willful non support.......spiritual endangerment etc) then you will remain in good standing in the congregation......you just cant get remarried.

Here is a good one for you:

I know of a sister who left her husband due to all sorts of problems.....one being physical abuse. She went ahead and got divorced because she decided there was no way she would ever trust him again. She lost her "privleges". Two years later she is still divorced from him but because she is a JW.....she has not dated anyone else so she is single. The elders told her that since she initiated a divorce on grounds outside that of adultery, not only can she not get remarried, but she can never pioneer again because she is not considered to be "exemplary". She is not considered "exemplary" because she is still considered to be "married in Jehovah's eyes" (since there has never been evidence of adultery) However, if she were to succomb to immorality now or in the future, she would likely be reprimanded but not disfellowshipped if she showed "repentance". And at THIS point.....not only would she be free to remarry.......she would also.....after the reprimandation......be cleared to be a pioneer again because since Jehovah no longer views her as "married".....she is now examplary. Isn't that sick? If she lives her life according to biblical standards from here on out.....she will be congregationally punished. But if she willingly breaks one of the biblical laws......she will be congregationally rewarded!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

depending on the congregation and body of elders, you can divorce for any reason and they will twist it. When my friend married this sister who turned out to be mentally unstable, the sister divorced him within the year without any "grounds". Her father was the PO or COBE whatever stupid title they gave themselves. I asked her why she is still a pioneer even though the divorce had no grounds, she responded that she was told that she did nothing wrong as she did not remarry, so she didn't commit fornication.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Outsmartthesystem, that is really crazy. I never thought about that before. It's a real break in logic and common sense. Also, no one with a brain even in the Borg could imagine god wanting that. A sin to then earn more privileges. Wow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit