Thich Nhat Hanh

by wonderwoman77 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wonderwoman77
    wonderwoman77

Has anyone ever read anything by this buddhist monk? I am currently reading Teachings on Love, it is wonderful. He starts out saying that you have to preserve your religious roots and he discusses the Four Immeasurable Minds. These are love, compassion, joy and equanimity. It is very interesting thus far. The book contains some great meditations focusing on loving kindness.

I was just wondering for those of you that have studied any type of buddhism, if you could more explain the immeasurable minds, and for those of you that meditate, how you feel about sending out loving kindness through meditation...

• Kristen
    Kristen

Hi WW!
    Teachings on Love sounds like an interesting book I'd like to read. I've read a book or two by the Dali Lama and am still working on learning *how* to meditate. All in time...

It seems as if the classes you've been taking and the books you've been reading have been working out well for you. I'd be interested in reading comments from others if they have read the book too.

Kristen

• wonderwoman77
    wonderwoman77

Yes meditation is working out great for me. I am not an expert at it, but I have found that it really helps me. I am done with my classes now at the Unitarian Universalist church, but I know attend there as a member and it has been a good experience so far.

I have been reading this book, but I also bought this deck of 50 meditations. You can use the cards in several ways, you can meditate on the picture, or on the saying on the back or both. I picked them up at a Walden Book store in my mall. They are excellent....

• Kristen
    Kristen

WW,
    Those cards sound interesting. I've been thinking of attending a guided meditation session at a *new age* place in a nearby town just to see what the experience is like. Don't know if I'll dig it or not—but the freedom to explore is nice. I haven't gone yet because I've yet to get up the courage to go on my own...been trying to get my sis to go with me. Maybe I should just do it, eh?

• Liberty
    Liberty

Hi Wonderwoman77,

Christianity encourages self-hate through guilt and the false concept of original sin. This self-hate limits our potential to love others so Buddhism teaches that we must love ourselves first. Christians go apesh*t when confronted with this concept because self-love is considered selfish and evil but in reality the Buddhist concept makes more sense because how can we love and forgive others when we can't even learn to love and forgive ourselves? Self-hate leads to lashing out at others. Have you ever noticed how judgemental and sectarian most fundi-Christians are? Some of this is human/animal nature but such negative qualities are encouraged by the ethnocentric views of the Bible.

Hahn is a good writer and represents the southern school of Buddhism, Hinheyana(not sure of spelling), which is more mystical than the northern school known as Maheyana(also unsure of spelling). Both schools are superior to Christianity and any type of meditation is good. I am drawn to the northern Zen style Buddhism because of its practicality and simplicity so study both if you have time to see which style fits your personality better. I recommend you read everything on Buddhism you can as it will open doors to self discovery that Christianity could never allow. Buddhism does not teach punishment for chosing the "wrong" practice because Buddhism is focused on self-realization rather than on finding the "right" external god. Enjoy your new found freedom in life away from the death cult of Christianity.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Hi Liberty,

I feel compelled to comment on your post...

Some Christians are exactly like you mentioned. But not all. I go to a Baptist church *gasp* that does not teach that at all. There are Christians out here that do know the line between loving themselves and being selfish. They use that love to help other people in times of need...whether a part of our church or not. We don't limit our love to members or to just Christians alone. I try to live my principles on the two main commandments given by Christ: 1. Love God with your whole heart, mind, and soul. 2. Love your neighbor as yourself. If those two principles are adhered to, then even heated arguments about doctrine fall to the wayside. Truly living your life in love teaches you to respect others, whether they believe as you or not.

My viewpoint: a true Christian does not = Bible Thumping Christobabblers.

Andi

• Liberty
    Liberty

Hi Andi,

No real argument from me here. I too have gone to Southern Baptist churches after leaving the Watchtower(my girlfriend was a SB)and met many fine loving people there. I don't think Christianity can make you a bad/evil person if you are strong willed and happy with yourself. I have met many great loving people in and out of the Watchtower but I think that they were that way DESPITE their religion.

I believe most people are naturally cooperative and nice and this is based on meeting folks from all over the world and all kinds of religions and cultures, most people are kind and loving. Communism or any kind of government ism, Islam, Judaism, and Christianity can all work against our better natures twisting our animal survival instincts into hate when the belief system is elevated beyond its real importance. Do most JWs enjoy shunning, do most Germans like killing Americans and vice versa? I'd say no but most people who are conditioned to be cruel or murderous for "the greater good" will do these things if enough pressure is applied. I still harbor some self-hate and sectarianism from my training as a JW hence my strong anti-Christian comments. You will not see this kind of negative reference in the writings of Buddhist monks such as Hahn, such statements are mine alone as a Westerner observing Buddhism from my own perspective.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Liberty,

I believe the problem with religion is not so much a problem with the beliefs themselves, but the individuals that EXPECT so much out of it. That's the mistake the JWs make. That when you become a JW, all your problems will naturally go away because you are now part of God's Modern Day Borganization. We all know that's not true.

I am a Christian that believes God gave me a brain. The purpose of that brain is in part for me to make my own decisions and discern what is best for myself.

I look at God as a parent, not so much as a big entity in the sky. A good parent isn't always going to bail their kids out of trouble. They will teach their child that they must live with the consequences of their decisions - some good, some bad. They also teach their child that Life is not fair...sometimes you live with the consequences of other people's decisions - some good, some bad. Sometimes we're just innocent bystanders. By getting angry that God is controlling (or not controlling) every little whim of the universe to me is a cop-out. To those people I say, "Take control of your life yourself. Why sit on your ass and wait for a handout?"

I don't expect God to solve the issues I have in my life. Yes, I'm a Christian, but I DO NOT believe He will bail me out of every bad situation or that He has given me every good situation. But I do believe the promise laid out in the Bible that there is something better later. One of these days I can have that promise. But for now, my mandate is to 1. Love God 2. Love people 3. Live my life to the best of my ability.

Let's say I'm wrong and there is no "promise". I've still lived a pretty good life by loving people and living my life to the best of my ability. See...not all of us Christians are Fundy-Bible thumpers! Even some that go to SBC!

Andi

• wonderwoman77
    wonderwoman77

Kristen--Go for it!!!!

Liberty--thanks for your thoughts. I agree with a lot of what you say, I think many christians are as you say. I do not consider myself a christian. I attend a unitarian universalist church and find buddhism has a strong call to me. I actually have been interested since I read the novel Siddahartha in my senior high school world lit class...

• Satanus
    Satanus

Liberty

I like your comments. I guess i have a similar philosophy in many ways, although i haven't, and probably won't zero in on any singular body of beliefs. I do know that one of those buddhist branches is atheist. Not that it matters to me, but i am curious if you are atheist.

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit