My Story

by braincleaned 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Here's where I am coming from.

I have spent over 45 years in religion. I was deep into it, as a JW. At the age of twelve I had serious doubts about God's character. I felt was not as loving as his Holy Autobiography suggested. In spite of these doubts, I embraced my parent's religion (having little other choice), and decided to not do things half-way.

As serious students do, I turned out to be a pretty good teacher of the Bible, and finally ministered as well as I could. I gave talks too... needless to say my research was done seriously. I went as far as I could, trying to understand semantics, with the help of Hebrew and Greek biblical dictionaries and a variety of concordances. One day, while preparing a talk, I stumbled across one of those scriptures that had shocked me at twelve, prompting a renewed concern (2 Kings 2:23-25). I've read it often... but my uncomfortable feelings were pushed away by my then religious bias.

In the days that followed, I started reading my Bible from the start, yet again. It was one of those eureka moments! "Touched by the Grace of Reason", as I put it now. My head and heart were spinning. Long before even reading a single line on Atheism, years went by — I was trying to curb my anger and disappointment is this god I now hated with all my heart. Consequently, I fell into a pretty steep depression... I only understand it now... at the time I didn't make the connection.

This is to be expected when you have invested a lifetime on a belief, and that you suddenly realize it was all for nothing, and that on top of that, you will disappoint your peers, and like in my case, even lose many.

I soon realized I was brought up to demonize any information that wasn't from within my religious enclosure. So I finally started to read about evolution - for which at this point -- I was still totally mocking. (I hated god, but I still believed he was the Creator.)

Then it happened again. A moment of sheer bliss... a sudden realization that Science was closer to any "truth" I have read before. Everything made sense... it also destroyed the account of the biblical creation... prompting the realization that god may not exist after all. But you don't shake faith off that easily. This was very painful (still is at times).

In the meantime, my wife gets more spiritual than before, and decides to kick me out of her life, claiming God understood her. I was an apostate. She believed she was in the right. I don't blame her, she is a good woman that gave me 12 beautiful years of her life, and 2 perfect kids — but she was clearly mind-controlled by her Religion. So we divorce, and the most precious thing of my life, my family, is shattered. (Turned out she had hidden intentions. 2 Months after our divorce, she married a 'brother', younger, better looking, and younger.)

Dozens of former friends shun me. I become the devil. By then, I discover Dawkins' "the God Delusion", and I actually weep while reading such logic and kindred spirit. I devour Harris' "The End of Faith", Hitchens' "God is Not Great", Stenger's "God, the Failed Hypothesis"... and more. My life, at that point, had made a 180 degree turn.

But then why the need to attack my old beliefs? Because my kids are being taught this stuff, and I am in fear of seeing them waste their life on this. Because it MATTERS what people believe, as it has consequences on others. Because this country is going backwards with religious fervor. Because people fly planes into buildings. Because moderates only empower the fundamentalists by making their Holy Books acceptable.
    Because the WTS is a damn money-grabbing cult of the worse kind.

I have no wish nor reason to respect religion. It has historically been the downfall of progress. I accuse and fight it because it's time for humanity to evolve out of 2,000 years of superstitious belief and tradition. Religion used to be the only way to science, so it could be said it championed science at one time, and it did… but no more. Stem cell research, condom ban in Africa, creationism, women's rights… all things that make Religion one of the cancers of humanity. It's no wonder people believe that the Church believed the world was flat — which it didn't — but they deserve the amalgam of fact and legend. They are judged for what they push now. Ironically, NOBODY would trust a surgeon who operates on the basis of scientific or medical books that are 2,000 years old.

If religion didn't have the negative influence it had thru history, I would say that people have a right to call themselves what they like for whatever reason they like.

But it is not without consequence.

So yes, I am sensitive on the subject. I agree that everyone has, and deserves the right to be whatever they want. I would even fight for religious freedom. But that doesn't mean I won't argue its ills.

I hope this explains better where I'm coming from. I'm still hurting... so I feel an obligation to help others to avoid going thru this pain. And my pain is nothing compared to some women in North Africa. We still have a long way to go...

That's my story.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

brain-poignantly written; thank you for sharing your story.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Welcome braincleaned. I'm sorry that the Watchtower has cost you your family.

Do you want to help your children to think critically? If you do, have you read Steve Hassan's books (i.e., "Combatting Cult Mind Control", "Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves", "Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs"), visited his website, and/or watched his videos? Watching Steve Hassan's videos are an easy way to decide whether his books can help you. I have learned a lot by reading Steve Hassan's book and watching some of his videos. Also, h ave you read threads by other members on JWN who have successfully helped their children and families leave the WTBTS such as the journey of my children in awakening by Aussie Oz ?

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Great story, but sad. I can't imagine what it would be like having kids in the org.

Ironically, NOBODY would trust a surgeon who operates on the basis of scientific or medical books that are 2,000 years old.

Love this bit ^^^^

Thanks for sharing

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Excellent post. Thank you for sharing your story.

My experience is similar to yours. As a young, born-in JW, I also was bothered by the "loving" god of the Bible doing such terrible things to people, especially to his own servants. Making life so hard after the Exodus the Jews would rather be slaves in Egypt again; then killing those same Jews by the thousands because they complained about the hard life god gave them; Striking Miriam with leprosy; killing 70,000 innocent Israelites because David took a census; killing Achan's family for the sin of the father; genocide of non-Israelite nations; holding up murderers, adulterers, despicable people as examples because they were "chosen" by god while at the same time condemning those sins in others, etc. It seemed to me that god was as petty and cruel as the human creation he so regularly condemned. But, as a JW, when you have these questions, you must do your duty and suppress them under the guise that god works in ways we don't understand.

When I started "waking up", I too began to read Dawkins, Harris and Hitchens. Their lucidity for seeing through the contradictions and nonsense in religion was eye-opening. Hitchens made a comment that put it all into perspective: 'if everything that the Bible says about god is true, it still would not compel him to want to serve one moment of eternity with such a person as him'. So true.

You'll find many friends here, welcome! Looking forward to your future comments.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Welcome braincleaned! It's amazing what research can do! I too was researching material for a public talk and I stumbled onto statistics disproving some of the Watchtower's claims. Like you I had wasted 50 years of my life in a mind-controling cult...I no longer believe in anything that can't be proven and I won't live what is left of my life to please a god or anyone else. At this time my wife has chosen to continue wasting her life in the cult and she is respecting my decision as I respect her's. Braincleaned, I hope you are fully enjoying your freedom to think as I am.

• Scott77
    Scott77

"I have spent over 45 years in religion...my wife gets more spiritual than before, and decides to kick me out of her life, claiming God understood her. I was an apostate. She believed she was in the right. I don't blame her, she is a good woman that gave me 12 beautiful years of her life, and 2 perfect kids... Because the WTS is a damn money-grabbing cult of the worse kind..."
    braincleaned

I have took notice of these with some interest. Thank for sharing. May someone recommend me or shows the tittles of those books by Dawkins, Harris and Hitchens? I had like to investigate further.

Scott77

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Welcome to the forum, Braincleaned! I love your writing. You let us into your heart. Thank you.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thank you BC ! your story is similar to mine as to background and waking up, and the way I feel now. I know where you are coming from Bro !

The wonderful thing is, that despite our loss, of God, of family and of conditional friends, what we have gained, Truth and Freedom and the chance to find and cultivate real friendships, is worth the losses, however painful they are.

May your life in freedom continue to get better and better.

• flipper
    flipper

BRAINCLEANED- Thanks for sharing your story. A very heartfelt story at that which many of us have shared your similar experiences. Please know you are among friends who will support you through your losses and be there for you. Having been born and raised in the cult for 44 years and escaping 9 years ago- believe me, I know what you're feeling with loss of family, etc. Wishing you the best and all the happiness you can find

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit