Young people growing up as Jehovah's Witnesses

by socstu 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• socstu
    socstu

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted on here, but the last time I did I was looking for young people to take part in my dissertation research. Well that was a whole year ago now and I can tell you I was very happy and relieved to have received a first class on the paper.

I've subsequently just wrote a blog post on the topic. It's not a copy of my dissertation, but more of a musing which is very much informed by all my interviews.

Anyway I hope you find it somewhat interesting:

http://reflexiveaction.wordpress.com/

Cheers, Luke.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I love this line:

"There was definitely a fear in my growing up that if I were to every leave the Jehovah’s Witnesses, I’d be consumed by a mixture of drugs, sex and earthquakes. Possibly all at once."

• socstu
    socstu

Haha yes I chuckled to myself when I wrote that one, mostly because I actually BELIEVED that. Oh well thanks for reading :)

• designs
    designs

Never had any nightmares as a kid over that stuff did ya

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions
    I actually BELIEVED that

So did I! I think that's what struck a chord.

• socstu
    socstu

I definitely DID have nightmares, and I still have the occasional one to this day. It usually involves Satan and/or demons coming to attack me and that I have to yell Jehovah or pray to him to keep them away. This is DESPITE my dream-self's internal monlogue saying, "What are you doing? Jehovah doesn't exist!"

So yes, many nightmares as a kid! It's pure luck that I turned out so well balanced.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Good read! Could relate to all of it.

• Mum
    Mum

Congratulations! And bless you for giving those kids an opportunity to express themselves freely.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Marked

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

For me, I would keep it to myself unless someone’s comments or questions prompted me to explain why I’m different.

That was me.

Good write-up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit