Governing Body more popular than Jesus Christ? Where have we heard this before?

by Newly Enlightened 13 Replies latest social entertainment

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

Growing up in the 60's I've heard this before. Even before I knew there was a Governing Body........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcWJSd-S3HA

• flipper
    flipper

Hey now my dear sister ! You be knocking my Beatles ? LOL ! John Lennon was taken out of context by the religious fundamentalists down in the Southern states . He wasn't knocking religion per se, just saying that religion wasn't as IMPORTANT to young people as the Beatles were at that time, and perhaps it shouldn't have BEEN that way in society. He explains he wasn't knocking religion, just saying that the Beatles seemed to have more influence on kids. And actually- he was CORRECT. They DID have more influence on kids AND society in general. He was just being honest about the influence.

Unlike the WT Society who are haughtily CLAIMING to be Jesus in that they LIKE having this authority over 7 million JW's. The Beatles had influence, but if you see their comments over the years they got tired of the public scrutiny and misconceptions about them and their lack of privacy. The Governing Body has no shame about anything. Much more deceitful and proud than the Beatles. Just my 2 cents ! No harm, no foul, I'm not mad- just pointing a few things out. Here's a rose for you my sweet sister. Peace out, my wife and I send our love ! Mr. Flipper

• designs
    designs

Remember Russell taught 'The Christ' was the 144,001, its no wonder these nutjobs think they are Jesus (or his equal).

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

Oh I not be knocking the Beatles. I love the BEATLES! There will never be another group like them or come even close to them. I was knocking the GB!

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

"Imagine there's no heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people living for today

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too"

John Lennon

• glenster
    glenster

Actually, if the point is an overview of believers and non-believers with an
    eye to not wanting harm, I'd recommend neither basic view be 'centric and
    intolerant. If you add specifics beyond that to either basic stance, add
    liberal (separation of church and state, evolution, rights for women and LGBT
    people, etc.) specifics, politically or religiously. You don't have to be
    either, or imagine no heaven or believe in one, imagine no religion or belong
    to one, for that.
    http://glenster1.webs.com/basics.htm

I think John was just referring to a news article that showed the Beatles
    were more popular in the UK than church attendance--that if he'd said "TV"
    instead it wouldn't have created such a reaction. I'd rather have the following
    event with John on Youtube--I think it would have been funnier:

An excerpt from the book "The Quarrymen," 2001, by Hunter Davies has it that
    in 1968, according to John's childhood friend Pete Shotton:

“One night, after a few joints, a bit of LSD, we were sitting around at Ken-
    wood playing tapes when John suddenly said: ’Pete, I think I’m Jesus Christ.’
    ’You what?’ I said. ’I’m Jesus Christ. I’m back again.’ ’Oh yeah,’ I said. ’What
    are you going to do about it?’ ’I’ve got to tell the world who I am.’ ’They’ll
    kill you.’ ’That can’t be helped,’ said John. ’How old was Jesus when they
    killed him?’ ’I reckon about 32.’ ’Then I’ve got at least four years to go,’
    said John. ’First thing tomorrow morning, we’ll go into Apple and tell the oth-
    ers.’

Next morning, Pete contacted Apple to arrange an emergency board meeting. All
    four Beatles turned up, plus Neil Aspinall (once the Beatles’ roadie, later Ap-
    ple’s managing director) and Derek Taylor, their press officer. "Right," said
    John, sitting behind his desk. "I’ve something very important to tell you all.
    I am...Jesus Christ. I have come back again. This is my thing."

The Beatles looked rather stunned, but said nothing. "It was totally surreal,"
    says Pete. "But nobody cross-examined him. No plans were made to announce the
    Messiah’s arrival. There was a bit of muttering, then silence, till somebody
    suggested the meeting was adjourned for lunch.' In the restaurant over lunch a
    man came up to John and said: ’Really nice to meet you, how are you?’ ’Actual-
    ly,’ said John, ’I’m Jesus Christ.’ ’Oh, really,’ said the man. ’Well, I liked
    your last record.’“
    http://articles.absoluteelsewhere.net/Articles/my_friend_john_davies.html

For John and a GB-like PR, my first thought would be him singing "Mother,"
    about being sensitive about a parent not being around their child, but him only
    seeing Julian about once a year after seeing to it Cynthia didn't get an alimony
    commensurate with his income though she raised the kid.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

To me, the best thing about his statement was when he said this: " Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me."

• Pterist
    Pterist

Good point "Newly Enlightened"

The Org's craving for lordship is fleshly and immature spirituality.

1 Corinthians 3-

3 Brothers and sisters, I could not address you as people who live by the Spirit but as people who are still worldly—mere infants in Christ. 2 I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. 3 You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere humans? 4 For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not mere human beings? We follow the GB ?

5 What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants,through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. 6 I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. 7 So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. 8 The one who plants and the one who waters have one purpose, and they will each be rewarded according to their own labor. 9 For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building.

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

Dismissing Servant: Interesting thing about that song. It sounds like he was describing what the new system would be like. If you believe in a future here on earth like some of us do.

We brought that up to an elder in our cong. and he looked at us like we were nuts and said "He doesn't like that song because John says "And no religion too..."

But if you think about it. Religion has been the biggest thorn in this world's side and in the new earth there won't be any religion. Because religion separates people as much as nations do, so there will ONE WAY, God's way!

So John was correct!

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Plus, newly,

In the earlier WT days, wasn't the slogan by Rutherford, " Religion is a snare and a racket"? Religion for a long time was considred a "bad word". Organization was the proper word, not religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit