How long does it take to get reinstated ?

by Pitchess Co-Gen 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• steve2
    steve2

It seems that the time it takes to get reinstated is rather elastic, with lots of variables influencing the amount of time.

I wonder though whether there are guidelines for the minimal amount of time that the GB considers appropriate, regardless of the sucker's penitent's expressed repentance.

For example, let's say an announcement is read out to the local congregation tonight that Brother A is no longer considered one of Jehovah's witnesses. However, literally within days he is stricken with heartfelt remorse for his sinful ways, abjectly apologizes to the body of elders (or those he can get hold of), pleads for help to return to Jehovah, turns away from his sinful course and gives immediate evidence he is doing everything possible to achieve that worthy goal. Let's also say he is 100% genuine, with no suggestion at all of impure motives.

What is the minimal period he must wait to be reinstated if his remorse came within days of being disfellowshipped? Two weeks? Three? A month?

Does any poster know of any one who has been disfellowshipped or disassociated and is reinstated within 3 months? 6 months? 9 months?

I suspect that, regardless of heartfelt expressions of remorse and an intention to turn away from sin, no one is ever reinstated within one year or are there GB-approved guidelines that state it is possible?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

In my experience of nearly three decades as a JW: One month to never!

There are NO clear cut guidelines. The elders "interpret" the direction from the FDS however they see fit.

• sir82
    sir82

I suspect that, regardless of heartfelt expressions of remorse and an intention

to turn away from sin, no one is ever reinstated within one year or are there

GB-approved guidelines that state it is possible?

6 months is the generally agreed-upon minimum, though I have heard anecdotes of reinstatement in as little as 3 months.

6 months would be for run of the mill, one-time occurrence, first offense "grave sins".

If the "grave sin" was a long-standing habit, or if the DF'ed person was devious in his committee meeting, or if the "grave sin" was well known & notorious, or if the person had been DF'ed before, the minimum would be 1 year, maybe 2 or 3.

None of this is "GB approved". But if you reinstate someone "too soon" you will likely get a chastising letter back from the branch telling the elders that they should have waited longer. The CO will then bawl them out on his next visit. All of that is rather unpleasant, so the elders "learn their lesson".

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Here is what you should do.

Go to a new meeting at new hall. Pull the elders into the back afterwards and give them a letter. They will reject it out of hand of course.

Go to the next meeting, do the same thing. Tell them the only example of repentance that you are aware of in the scriptures was the illustration of the prodigal son. Ask why if its good enough for Jesus why its not good enough for them. Rinse and repeat.

Ok, that probably won't work, but it would be fun to do!

• tiki
    tiki

seriously, WHY!?!?!? let it go...........not worth the emotional expenditure.

• besunny
    besunny

I was on private reproof for 1 year,,which if I remember right I couldn't answer or go out in service,,,my husband was disfellowshipped and when he started to come back to the meetings was reinstated after 6 months,,go figure

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

It depends on the elders and now they feel about u. How many times you have been DFed and if for the same reason...I know several that it took a few years or more to be allowed back!

SW

• Pitchess Co-Gen
    Pitchess Co-Gen
    I was on private reproof for 1 year,,which if I remember right I couldn't answer or go out in service,,,my husband was disfellowshipped and when he started to come back to the meetings was reinstated after 6 months,,go figure

I thought if you were on private reproof then you just can't comment ? When I was on private reproof they told me ( Central Compton Congregation ) that the only things that I can do is go out in field service and clean up after the meeting ( Yay! I get to clean the tolets. ), but I couldn't be an attendent at the assembly or comment at meetings .

• besunny
    besunny

Pitchess Co-Gen you are probably right about the going out in service thing after being reproved it was like 14 years ago,,but I didn't want to go in field service anyway,,or answer,,it took another 5 years and I totally faded,,also moving twice helped with that

• steve2
    steve2

This topic prompts some randomly related thoughts: I recall a young sister in my home congregation who was disfellowshipped on three separate occasions over a 5 to 6 year period. It was common knowledge among the brothers and sisters that she was dating worldy men and allowing herself to go too far. I remember feeling sorry for her being repeatedly punished for doing what lots of young people do but feeling the need to confess to the elders. Even as a young witness (who was genuinely compliant with the organization's moral code) I thought that her problem was the need to confess and that plenty of other young witnesses took things too far in their dating and never confessed. I always wondered what happened to her. Did she end up being disfellowshipped any more times? Did she ever move on - from the fickle relationships and the need to confess?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit