I didn't go to college. . .

by ninjaturtle 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis

rhett, you are correct, but a cert makes it easier to at least get in on the ground floor. As well, community college makes it a lot easier than say going to Devry or the Art Institute and getting training. All they do for you is give you a mediocre education/training and an impressive student loan to repay.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Celia
    Celia

Valis,
    What do you teach at the Community College?
    I took classes in one, and most of the teachers were just wonderful.

• Valis
    Valis

I teach Intro to Computers, Help Desk, PC Hardware for A+ Cert and the Operating Systems class for A+ cert. And yes Celia, I am wonderful...*L*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Pimping 101.

Slipnslidemaster:"I worked very hard and I earned all the attention I'm getting."
    - Anna Kournikova

Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America

• rhett
    rhett

Oh, trust me, I know getting a basic cert or two can help get a low end job. I had my A+ and Net+ before I ever did computer work for a living. Since then I've also got my CCNA, CCDA, and MCP (net. infrastructure admin.). I just hate seeing those stupid ads all the time that talk about the big demand for IT workers that also say people who have certain certs get these huge salaries. What they always leave out is the fact that the average salary of the people who have those certs have also been doing it for years. Also, the big demand for IT workers is for the people that have been doing it for years and have more certs than you can get during one semester at a community college. From what I've seen though there's certainly no shortage of entry level folks. If you do go and get a couple of certs or something and even if you get some schooling the best you can hope for is one of those basic entry level positions that a million other people could do just as well and not one of the big high paying jobs where there are big shortages that are advertised by many of the schools that I see.

Back down the bullies to the back of the bus
    Its time for them to be scared of us

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

I didn't go either.

Knowing what you like is half the battle.
    Knowing how to "sell yourself" is the other half.

I agree going to career counsellor type people
    is a great idea. They can also help you find out
    if you qualify for any gov't grants, etc.

Taking something general like "Business" or "Computers"
    is a good start for short-term schooling that will aid your
    resume. Once you are a student, check out "hire-a-student" for jobs.

Also, volunteer. There are some neat places and fun "causes" around that are fun to help out with and gain some experience and network/make contacts. Even in construction type stuff. check out the volunteer website for your area/city.

SPAZ

• Imbue
    Imbue

How about: massage therapy some schools are only 6mos training. Maybe, phlebotomy (drawing blood) is another training that takes about 6 mo. Try applying to your local hospital for an 'orderly job'. Nurses aid training is only 5 weeks and males are needed for this work. If you become a nurses aid or medical tech you will never be out of work. And most hospitals will pay some tuition if you continue your education. Wish you well.

Crazy is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• Waygooder64
    Waygooder64

I went to grade 8.....did grade 4 twice...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit