I didn't go to college. . .

by ninjaturtle 17 Replies latest jw friends

• ninjaturtle
    ninjaturtle

Because I listened to the dumb elders who suggested I stay away from college, now I'm broke and unhappy. I need money and direction.

Can anyone suggest a few short courses I can take so as to find a job easy and quick? It could be anything, I'm lost, I'm in dire need for something, anything. A vocational school, trade course, whatever, something short and quick and will most likely get me a job in no time. I can go to school for up to 6 months I suppose, but anything past that will suck me dry.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like computers, working with my hands, construction, Anything!!!!

• Celia
    Celia

Go to your nearest College, Community College or Technical College.
    Talk to an advisor. They're always very helpful and knowledgeable.
    You like computers, there are certificates you can obtain after taking a few classes... Go, explore !
    And Good Luck !

• rhett
    rhett

Those computer certificates are virtually worthless unless you have experience. Everyone thinks there's this big huge demand for people who work on computers when that couldn't be further from the truth. Don't get me wrong, there is a demand for highly experienced people who have lots of certificates and years of experience and stability but as for entry level stuff, there's absolutely no shortage of people to do those jobs what so ever. Unless you work for a company and have the chance to transfer into a help desk job or something like that I would not advise going into computer stuff at all. This is coming from experience. I have CompTIA certifications, Cisco certifications, Microsoft certifications and I get one of two messages all the time. Either "Wow, you have a bunch of certifications but not enough experience. You'd be bored here so we'll hire someone else who's better fitted for this job," or "Well, you have the certs to do the job but you don't have the experience so we'll hire someone else who does." On top of it the certs that you can get cost at least $100 or so a test on top of any traing you may have. The studying is not one of those things you can do half heartedly at all. You really have to have a love to do it and be able to understand (not just like) technical ideas and concepts as well as almost all the work is theoretical and not something you can actually put your hands on.
    Also beware any college or training center that tells you that if you take their courses you'll be able to get a big high paying job. That's an outright lie. They'll cite studies that say there's a high demand for IT professionals. Like I said before, that's only for highly experienced people who have been doing the work for years and have more certifications than you're going to get in a semester at your local college. Why do they tell you that? Because they're selling their classes. Its like a car salesman who tells you that if you buy the nice new sports car you'll get lots of women. They'll tell you what you want to hear to sell you their product. Training centers are no different. For all that, the courses they teach are almost always aimed to help you study for a certification exam with a certain company (Novell, Cisco, Microsoft). You can study on your own and pass the tests without their help. I did self study as well as take courses and feel like the courses were a waste of time and money.
    Don't waste your time. Go do anything else at all.

Back down the bullies to the back of the bus
    Its time for them to be scared of us

• Celia
    Celia

Rhett, I am confused, or shocked !
    So what should this guy be doing ?
    Sit home and hope that some good paying job falls into his lap ?
    Please explain !

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

You didn't tell us how long it has been since you were a TEENAGE NinjaTurtle. Are you 30, 50 or 70?

Before you can get somewhere, you have to know where you are going. You might want to look at one or more of the books by BARBARA SHER -
    "I Could Do Anything if I Only Knew What It Was: How to Discover What You Really Want and How to Get It," "Live the Life You Love: In Ten Easy Step-by-Step Lessons." "It's Only Too Late if You Don't Start Now: How to Create Your Second Life at Any Age." or "Wishcraft: How to Get What You Really Want." You'll find more compassion and wisdom in Barbara's books than in a Kingdom Hall full of elders.

Let us know how it goes.

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

well ninja turtle -- you have been placed in a very difficult situation..

so what to do?

maybe you could try window cleaning --- kekekekeke - sori for laughing.

i had made myself a niche during my years in the truth, (and having a family to support) in food service design.

due to changes in the industry, i found about 4 years ago, that work opportunities were declining.

i took a course to learn autocad (computer aided drafting), in oz, short part time course are available at night.

that revitalised my work prospects, and i have not had work worries since.

my general impression, is that as computing becomes a 'mature' industry, the money and career prospects will lie, in understanding computers (as an IT course will train you) and in being able to apply computing power to a prolblm or need , that is thru a software program etc.

only my view - but hope it helps and good luck!!!!

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Ninjaturtle,

LOL..... Many people who went to college is broke and unhappy too.

• Valis
    Valis
    LOL..... Many people who went to college is broke and unhappy too.

Fred you make it too easy...didn't they teach you grammar in kitty school?

Many people who went to college are broke and unhappy too.

nt...its ok, lots of us didn't go to college when we should have, but there is plenty of time...well until Armageddon anyway....hehehe, perhaps we can put it off for four years so you'll have a degree in paradise earth. Now that I got the sarcasm out of the way, my first suggestion to you would be to go to the following URL and gather as much financial aid info you can. They have tons of scholarships for all kinds of people, not to mention many of the forms you need to fill out for state and federal financial aid. They also have form letters that you can print out when applying for a scholarship.

http://www.fastweb.com/

After you do this, you really need to focus and pinpoint what it is you want to do. Also keep in mind that going to college is not a guarantee you will get a job. That shouldn't be your primary focus anyway. It might be in your favor to become a professional student for a couple of years...i.e. making sure you have enough fin aid set up so you can survive without having to work at a full time job. This is not hard to do, but does require some dilligence on your part. Community college has several advantages for someone like you. Most of them will have certificate programs in all kinds of fields, that by completing will get you some position, whether it be medical/dental assistant, legal assistant, cook, computer tech, etc...just some examples of certs that put you in on the ground floor. You can get a cert and still take general academic classes. Speaking of which, don't take too many right off the bat. You will be overwhelmed and highly discouraged. Feel free to contact me via email if I can be of any assistance. BTW, I teach at community college, so I might have somewhat of a clue and will be glad to counsel.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• roybatty
    roybatty

That's one thing that I'm glad I didn't listen to the Society about. A degree isn't everything but in the professional world, without one you'll hit a brick wall.

• rhett
    rhett

I don't really know what he should do. I'm just offering some words of wisdom from someone who's been there that breaking into the IT industry is nowhere near as wonderous and great as most people believe.

Back down the bullies to the back of the bus
    Its time for them to be scared of us

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit