Challenge for JW's - how do you arrive at 1919 using the Bible alone?

by yadda yadda 2 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Havn't you checked out the 'new light' about when Jesus appointed a faithful and discreet slave Rattigan?

So that's it Rattigan, an assembly in Cedar Point, Ohio, is the proof? This was the 'sign' Jesus had approved them above all other religions in Christendom????

Wow...I mean, wow!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Just self supporting marketing hype to make the WTS. appearer viable and the literature appear viable.

In spite of the fact that the doctrines were Pure concocted BS.

J Rutherford was the most devious crook I think out the lot, but hey this is turn of the century Charlatanism. $$$

• Finkelstein
  • Vidqun
    Vidqun

When I did research in the good old (bad old) days, this is what I came up with:

All their convoluted reasoning hinges on the 1914 date. According to their explanation of the "seven times" of Dan. 2: End of the Gentile times (7 x 360 = 2520 years), from 607 BCE to "fall of 1914." If you add 3 1/2 years to that, you hit 1919 (see "time, times and half a time" of Dan. 12:7 and 1260 days = 42 months of Rev. 11:2, 3). All of these scriptures they apply to the war period, 1914-1918.

Now add to the mix the 3 1/2 years of Jesus' earthly ministry. Jesus judged the temple at the beginning and at the end of his ministry (cf. 1st cleansing John 2:13-17; 2nd cleansing Matt. 21:12, 13; Mark 11:15-17; Luke 19:45, 46). So, according to WT reasoning, Jesus' presence would start at the end of 1914. Three and a half years later he would inspect his temple, according to Malachi 3:1. This brings one to 1919.

During my JC I proved to them that above scriptures cannot apply to the 1914-1918 war period. E.g. At Dan. 12:7 it says that the hand (=power) of God's people will be shattered (like a clay vessel). In Rev. 11 the beast that ascends out of the abyss, which they identify as the League of Nations and the UN, which kills the two witnesses, did not exist during the 1914-1918 period, etc. But to no avail, I was disfellowshipped as an apostate for my trouble.

• Pterist
    Pterist

Rattigan350..***But the reason that 1919 has been significant in organization history is that, that is when the Cedar Point assembly of advertise the king and the kingdom was. That was the sign that they left Babylon the great..... Does it need to be in the Bible?****

1 Thessalonians 5-

5 Now, brothers and sisters, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, 2 for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night.....

21 20 Do not treat prophecies with contempt 21 but test them all; hold on to what is good, 22 reject every kind of evil.

As you note, If God's household was judged back in 1918-19 then there is no one left alive today of those who were already judged. Therefore, the obvious question is: Are any of Christ's anointed brothers approved at this time? The Society gets around that illogical situation by claiming that God's household was judged as a body, and not the individuals making up the household, and thus as a group they were found “faithful and discreet.” But there are no scriptures that we can point to that would indicate that Jehovah would judge his people as a unit rather than on an individual basis.

Those who are claiming that God's household was judged as a group, almost 100 years ago, are saying that Jehovah was evaluating Christendom and also the small group of active Bible Students at that time, and he decided in favor of the Bible Students for various reasons, such as having remained neutral during World War I. He is said to have judged them as “faithful and discreet” as opposed to the clergy of Christendom whose hands were drenched in blood due to their participation in the war. Is that possible? Is God’s judgment about deciding who his household was back in 1919? This is what the Watchtower said on this point: Mankind has entered a period of judgment. We are informed at 1 Peter 4:17 that judgment started “with the house of God”—a judgment of professed Christian organizations that has been apparent since “the last days” got under way with the slaughter of World War I during 1914-18. How has Christendom made out in this judgment? Well, consider the stand of the churches in supporting the wars since 1914. Are not the clergy stained with “the blood marks of the souls of the innocent poor ones” that they preached into the firing lines?—Jeremiah 2:34. —w96 4/1 p. 18 “Praise Jah, You People!”

This personal responsibility is strongly emphasized when we recall that at the close of each message to the seven congregations comprising the true church, the reward is promised individually “to him that conquers.” —w70 9/15 pp. 565-566 The Hour of Test Is On! (bold mine)

To teach that Jehovah judges his slaves as a body, or group, is unscriptural. It did not happen back in 1918-19 and neither will it happen in the future. But he will judge each individual member within his household in the near future. Jehovah will maneuver events where he will expose what we are really like at heart, without us even being aware that it is taking place. At that time “wicked men and imposters will advance from bad to worse,” while also at the same time “the righteous ones will shine as brightly as the sun in the kingdom of their Father.” (2 Tim. 3:13; Matt. 13:43; Dan. 12:3, 10) Not until his “day of wrath” will Jehovah reveal his righteous judgment and “render to each one according to his works.” (Rom. 2:5,6)

http://perimeno.ca/Letters_January_2006.htm#judgment

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Easy, open your Bible to page 1,918. It's the next page!

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

I never understood how adding 3.5 years to 1914 gets you to 1919 anyway.

42 months from 1st Oct 1914 gets you to 1st April 1918.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Re: Challenge for JW's - how do you arrive at 1919 using the Bible alone?

You don't. You just have to take the WT's word for it. Call it faith or belief or something.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Crap Shoot

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

not to mention world war 1 started in August not October 1

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit