Not on JW.ORG: Any updates or information on the Jehovah's Witness Elder shot at the Oregon Kingdom Hall? Back story? Family OK?

by Balaamsass 13 Replies latest social current

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Shooting victim a Witness elder, suspect a former member

By KVAL.com staff Published: May 13, 2010 at 12:18 PM PDT Last Updated: May 13, 2010 at 5:23 PM PDT

Share this story

Shooting victim a Witness elder, suspect a former member ยป Play VideoKenneth Mort

Related Content

EUGENE, Ore. -- Richard Gonzales arrived at the Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall on Wednesday night as five elders were leaving a meeting, the sheriff's office said.

Gonzales forced the five back inside and got into an argument with one of the men, Kenneth Mort, the sheriff's office said. Investigators said Gonzales shot Mort, then ran from the building.

Gonzales had been a Jehovah's Witness but no longer is a member of the religion, the sheriff's office said.

Gonzales knew Mort. In 2002, Mort sought a restraining order against Gonzales. The order was terminated in 2003, according to court records.

Gonzales (below right) is currently married to Mort's ex-wife, the sheriff's office confirmed. However, investigators do not believe that is a factor in the shooting.

Gonzales has been charged with murder and faced arraignment Thursday afternoon.

He was captured just after midnight Thursday following a manhunt involving a helicopter, multiple law enforcement agencies and police dogs. Police found his car abandoned and later spotted him from the air in a clearing in the woods. Gonzales was taken into custody with the help of a police dog.

Sheriff's deputies got the original call of a hostage situation at the Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall at 8:24 p.m. Wednesday. Deputies investigating an armed robbery in nearby Pleasant Hill, Ore., were the first on scene. They found Mort dead.

Co-workers keep business open

The people Mort worked with at Hitch Pro & Tow in Eugene opened the shop for business as usual Thursday morning.

Mort co-owned the business with Craig Metzger.

"It's been a real hard day, to lose a great friend and a good man," Metzger said.

"When we got the tragic news last evening, we discussed what to do," said Norma Metzger, Mort's co-worker and longtime friend. "I asked Craig, 'What do you think Ken would want us to do?' And he said, 'I honestly feel, the way Ken felt about his customers, that he would want us to carry on.' So that's why we're here today. This is for Ken."

Craig Metzger said he and Mort had known each other for 20 years through work.

"We got to become friends and appreciated each other's work ethics," Metzger said.

The two decided to go into business together 9 years ago.

"He ran the shop, he was really our main custom fabricator, the creative guy on some of that stuff," Metzger said. "He was the main guy and trained those guys to be able to do it."

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

That's really sad! It's terrible that some people have to resort to violence, and when unstable people can get their hands on guns, it's a bigger problem.

• Quendi
    Quendi

Balaamsass, I have sent you a PM.

Quendi

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Thanks Quendi- pm d you back.

??? My question about this is...since the "form of worship that is pure...is to look after Orphans and Widows....Has Watchtower provided for the Widow and Orphans? WHAT was the beef about?

• maisha
    maisha

There wil be a lot more to this story than is told,,, should be good story when it finally comes out.

• StoneWall
    StoneWall
    There wil be a lot more to this story than is told,,, should be good story when it finally comes out.

maisha according to the article in that OP, this story is almost 3 years old. The date is May of 2010.

Not sure how long on the "finally comes out" part if it hasn't been released by now.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

A state close to my area had an incident where an Elder shot himself and blew up an entire KH! That's crazy, but it's alomost forgotten now. Had it occured last week, it would not have made it to JW.ORG.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

DATA-DOG -???? Tell us more!!!

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

That was here in Missouri, not far from me.

There was another episode, here where I live

in that someone actually shot at the KH as people were leaving. One woman was shot,

but she is ok. My mother should have been at that meeting. As far as I know, the shooter

was never found.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

We had a guy going through a divorce and just DFd who shot out car windows of JWs leaving the KH...but that was about all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit