The most boring book in the Bible.

by sleepy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

What did you find the most boring book to read in the Bible?

Its a hard choice as there's so many to choose from but I have to go with Psalms.Flipping Nora it take for ever to read, is written in some incomprehensible way, and is about nothing!

• Amazing
    Amazing

Sleepy: Chronicles made me sleepy.

Following Bible principles, we will avoid trying to live - or demand others to live - by an extensive and rigid set of dos and don'ts that go beyond the teachings of the Bible. The Watchtower, 4-15-02, pg 22, pp 15

• Scully
    Scully

Actually Psalms was one of my favorites. Each "chapter" is considered to be a 'psalm' or song of worship, and is very poetic. There are some interesting patterns that are used in writing some of the psalms. You might notice the references at the beginning of a psalm to a letter of the Hebrew alphabet, which was part of a certain group of psalms that was sung as a unit. The letter reference was a kind of memory aid, because each verse began with a word starting with the letter at the top of the psalm. Enough trivia for now.

The most boring passages for me are any that included LONG BORING lists of "begats". They were the most torturous of Bible readings.

Some of the "lesser prophets" were so brief, it made you wonder why they were even included in the Bible in the first place.

Love, Scully

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I don't know about boring, but Lamentations is certainly the biggest downer.

• Will Power
    Will Power

1. Aid to Bible Understanding

2. God's Eternal Purpose Now Triumphing, for man's good

3. Is This Life all There is?

4. Let your Kingdom Come

5. Survival into a New Earth

(authors unknown)

:-D

• Gopher
    Gopher

I agree with whoever said "Chronicles". You can also add Deuteronomy. Long lists of antiquated laws. Yawn. How beneficial!!

I actually enjoyed reading the book of Psalms, especially when I was feeling a bit down. And I also enjoyed the satiric wit that can be found in some of the Proverbs, and the eroticism of Song of Solomon. (I have put my clothes off...how can I put them back on? etc.)

Scully, you said you don't know why some of the minor prophets are included....C'mon, don't you know all scripture is inspired of God and beneficial??? (2 Tim. 3:16) How dare you... never mind, LOL. Perhaps some of the minor prophets just wanted to see their names in the Holy Book.

You want a real head-scratcher -- how 'bout the book of Joel? They cannot even pinpoint the era in which it was written, nor whom exactly he is prophesying against!! It comes across like a generic "Jehovah has enemies --- he will destroy!!" type of book.

-J.R., member, UADNA-MN
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Minnesota division)

This post was not evaluated by any mental health professionals.
    Any opinions expressed are those of a fuzzy, cuddly rodent.

• Scully
    Scully

Gopher:

How DARE I?? It's in my contract/job description as an apostate. That's how.

Love, Scully

• Farkel
    Farkel

For me, the most boring book is "Genesisthrurevelation."

Farkel

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

You spell 'is' with an 's', not with a 'n'.

[8>]

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

Most are boring. Chronicles' son of son of son of son of son of son of son of son of crap can get kinda old. The only fun part in that is seeing all the brothers doing the #2 and Bible Highlights talks, trying to make it interesting. I swear, all they talked about is how Jehovah likes organization, so thats why we report our time.
    Proverbs is cool cuz you can sprout off proverbs and sound smart;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit