Trinity, Immortality of the soul, Hell fire... Homosexuality

by irondork 42 Replies latest jw friends

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL. If you're someone with the authority of John Shelby Spong you can just call for a whole new Bible to be written- Christianity can survive without the bible: a 2000 year old collection of scraps of letters, doctrine from completely unknown sources, and forgeries. It's really only fundamentalists who attempt the foolish task of living their lives according to a few individual verses...

• Diest
    Diest

Honestly when you bring up that ponit Irondork it feels like you are reaching. I dont believe in the bible and I am always intrigued by those who fall outside common interpretation yet want to be part of the group. All the scriptures I can think of describe husband and wife marriage. They also describe sex outside of marriage as fornication.

Let the christians have their bible and all of its silly teachings

• irondork
    irondork

I'm not sure what you mean by including "sex outside of marriage as fornication" in the discussion.

I assume you are refferring to the fact that gay marriage is presently unrecognized by the governements of most countries/states. Just because a government does not recognize gay marriage doesn't mean gay marriage doesn't exist. And just becuase there was not a "traditional" wedding according to the customs we may be familiar with does not mean the marriage is any less recognized by God.

Genesis 24:67 - And Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah’s tent, and he took Rebekah and she became his wife, and he loved her...

Seems like the consumation is the contract God acknowledges.

I respect the fact that you don't believe the bible is what I believe it to be, but the whole Gay vs. Christian debate is biblical. The entrenched "Christian" camp has been using the bible to smack people around since, well, it was written. When someone says the bible CONDEMNS gay people, homosexuality in all it's forms, it's a baseless statement. The facts just don't support it. The bible's condemnation of homosexual sex acts is as targeted to specific scenarios as it's condemnation of heterosexual sex acts is targeted. No broad, sweeping condemnation exists for either sexual orientation.

The fact that homosexuals were not the "topic of conversation" in the bible should not surprise us. From Genesis to the birth of Christ it was all about who begat whom. Since gay people tend not to be begatting, they did not show up in the narrative. But you can be sure there were gay people running around in tight little togas and FABULOUS sandals throughout history. Where is the IN YOUR FACE condemnation of these people?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit