Alameda County Administrator makes $423,664 a year!

by VM44 37 Replies latest social current

• VM44
    VM44

County Faces $88 Million Budget Gap

Thursday, 17 May 2012 14:20

By Amy Sylvestri

San Leandro Times

The Alameda County Board of Supervisors recently announced a projected budget gap of $88.1 million for the 2012-2013 fiscal year – a large figure, but significantly less than the $138 million gap that had to be closed last year.

District 3 Supervisor Wilma Chan, who represents San Leandro, San Lorenzo, Ashland, and part of Oakland, said that closing the budget gap gets more difficult each year, as many programs and positions have been eliminated in previous years and what remains is already a lean operation.

“The process is ongoing and just gets harder,” said Chan. “I just got back from a budget meeting and we are starting to outline potential cuts. We are just starting to get an idea of what will be eliminated.”

Chan said the heads of the general government, public safety, heath care, and public service departments are working on prioritized lists for the funding they’ll need for the next fiscal year.

County Administrator Susan Muranishi blamed the shortfall on the national economic downturn, resulting in a rise in requests for the very services that had to be reduced in order to balance the budget, and that county employee costs are driving up expenses.

“After a prolonged recession that ate significantly into our resources, Alameda county continues to be squeezed by rapidly rising employee health and retirement costs, continued high demand for services and a lackluster economy that undermines our chances for growth,” said Muranishi in a written statement.

Another factor is the shortfall caused by lower property tax revenue and less money coming in from state and federal sources, Muranishi said.

To close the last budget gap, over 100 county jobs were cut, the Fairmont Animal Shelter was closed, the sheriff’s department’s Marine Patrol Unit was discontinued, as was the Community Oriented Policing Unit.

Supervisor Keith Carson, who chairs the budget committee, said that Alameda County will also be hurt by the “realignment” of the criminal justice system. Hundreds of inmates that were incarcerated by the state will now be handled by the county and there is no money budgeted for this.

Muranishi added that, in addition to the cost of housing those inmates, the county will also lose about $20 million because they will no longer be able to contract with the state and federal government to hold inmates from other communities in local jails.

Chan said that a series of public meetings will be held in June after a draft of the budget is completed on June 5. The final balanced budget must be set by July 1.

“It’s another year of huge deficits, and, unfortunately, deep cuts,” said Chan.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Thanks for all the research, vm44.

S

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

I wonder if this woman has invested in some personal security of some kind. Reading some of the comments from other sites covering this story would make me uneasy if I were in her shoes. Funny how since this story broke we haven't heard a peep from her. She makes more in a day, hell a month, than some people make in a year. I know some people get pissed at athletes for making an obscene amount of dough, but that doesn't bother me. I like seeing young boys make money. Makes me feel good to see them living. Plus their money is coming from a private industry. This woman though, wow, fleecing the taxpayers. She's probably gonna lay low or bring attention to whatever philanthropic work she might be involved in. Funny how she listed, whiners, as her biggest pet peave. That's probably how she views anyone criticizing her salary and pension in light of this article.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

She'll simply do what all other corrupt public officials do. Resign in disgrace, retire in luxury. Her former subjects will pick up the tab. They have no choice in the matter.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

These people who get $300,000 a year or even much much more, I don't understand why their jobs don't get outsourced like the ones making $20,000 a year.

I'm missing something in this thinking.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

aaaaaaaah, they make that amount here in NJ, governor Christie came down hard on them!

anyway, what's even more obscene is the amount of nepotism (no show jobs in some cases) in high paying government jobs.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

when you have time, google:

Passaic Valley Water Commission indictments

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    These people who get $300,000 a year or even much much more, I don't understand why their jobs don't get outsourced like the ones making $20,000 a year.

Fairly obvious answer from Economics 101: Supply and Demand.

The unskilled person at a call center making $20,000 per year here in the US can be replaced by a $10,000 per year person in India very easily. The line in India would be very long for jobs paying that much to be answering a phone. That's a 50% savings.

Take a $300,000 person here. Well, offer a high end managerial job for 50% of the $300,000 (= $150,000) and you would be surprised how small the pool of qualified people would be. Yes, you would get hundreds of resumes, but people with the specified qualifications of education, experience and noteworthy achievement would be relatively small. And if a upper level manager comes in and fails after restructuring the organization, it can cost a huge amount just to get the organization back to where it initially was.

Personally, I try not to belittle others who are successful in life. Many people who complain about how much successful people earn have not put in the time and effort to achieve things themselves. I earn a very nice income but I doubt I would be earning a third of what I earn today were it not for those years of night college and the MBA.

Rub a Dub

• never a jw
    never a jw

Good point Rub a Dub.

• VM44
    VM44

From "A conversation with Alameda County administrator Susan S. Muranishi"

"He [her father] instilled all the core values, a commitment to education, public service and giving back to the community."

---

"Giving back to the community"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit