EVE - not the only woman ?

by *lost* 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• *lost*
    *lost*

Can you help verify or disprove the follwing please.

many thanks

The bible does not say Eve was the only woman does it ? Adam and Eve may have been the first human couple created, but there is nothing to say that he didn't create moret than one man or more than one woman, does it ? and it doesn't say there were any other human/society living outside of the garden of eden, does it ?

lost

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Lilith was Adam's first wife was she not?

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

Considering Cain was worried about his safety after murking his brother leads one to conclude there was more baby production coming from other couples other than Adam and Eve.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Hard to tell, the creation myth is so vague and contradictory.

• jgnat
  • Londo111
    Londo111

Toward the end of my stint as an asleep JW, I'd a harder and harder time taking the Eden story literally. When a public Watchtower came out with that subject matter, it made me cringe. I kept hoping the Society was going to say, "This isn't literal...this is allegory." Fat chance! LOL!

• transhuman68
    transhuman68
    Hard to tell, the creation myth is so vague and contradictory.

Indeed. First; it is not 'the garden of Eden', but 'the garden in Eden'- Eden being a district well known to the OT writers (Ezekiel, Amos etc.); possibly in Lebanon- which positions the creation story much later in time than is commonly assumed, and Genesis 4: 14, 17 places Adam's sons in a populated world- also much later in time than the time of Creation. So, although Adam & Eve are the first people mentioned in the Bible, it does seem to be acknowledged that they weren't the only people.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Genesis 3:20 states that Adam named his wife Eve "because she had to become the mother of everyone living." This would seem to pretty clearly state that they're the only humans at this point.

The other thing about the story of Cain and Abel is that it is told in a non-specific time period, "at the expiration of some time" as Genesis 4:3 says. So, unless I've missed something, it would be pretty clear that at the very least, Adam and Eve would've had more sons and daughters by the time Abel's death happened. It could even have been possible for Adam and Eve's other kids to have had sons and daughters themselves, but there's just no specific information to go on.

With that said, I'm not saying transhuman68 is wrong or anything, because regardless it does seem clear that they were living in a populated world by that time, whether it was because of Adam and Eve's kids or some other group of humans. Seth wasn't born until Adam was 130 years old. So Cain and Abel could've been the first kids but Abel's death could've happened 20-100 years from their birth, by which time there would've been many kids, but apparently the Bible doesn't bother to follow the other kids' history beyond Seth.

--sd-7

• DuckBharma
    DuckBharma

There was no Eve, nor was there a Garden of Eden. Plus we can be 99.9% that God doesn't exist and even if he does then, unless said god is a bit stupid, the Bible is not his divinely inspired message for mankind.

Hope that clears everything up.

• Splash
    Splash

Watched a tv documentary tracing the dispersion of the human race from antiquity.

One thing they mentioned is that mitochondrial dna indicates the entire worlds population has a common female ancestor.

Splash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit