Anyone else celebrating the Memorial with just their families at home tonight?

by ohiocowboy 16 Replies latest jw friends

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Tonight, I have decided to bake unleavened bread so that my Partner and I can have our own Memorial at home. I already have the wine, and I will be serving it in an authentic Ancient Greel Drinking vessel called a Kantharos that was used in ancient times. I've collected Ancient Greek and Roman coins and antiquities for quite a few years, and I thought it would be neat to try be be as authentic as possible by serving the emblems in ancient wares. The pottery Kantharos for the wine looks very similar to this Kantharos and was made over 2,000 years ago. Even though it is Greek and not Judean, it will be neat knowing that someone was actually drinking out of it before and during Christ's time here on Earth.

The bread recipe will be simple, no exact recipe, I will just be using unleavened wheat flour, water, and a smidgen of honey, and will be rolled out and baked on a hot hearth brick that I will have preheated. I don't have an ancient plate, but I do have a few pieces of antique 17th and 18th century pewter, so I will serve the bread on the earliest pewter plate that I have which is English, and dates from the 1670's and looks like this .

My Partner Dave is very religious, and he is very excited that I am doing this for him so that he/we can celebrate in our own special way, rather than having a publiushing company dictate how things should be done.

Is anyone else having their own memorial. Any special little traditions you will add?

I wish a wonderful memorial evening to those who are going to celebrate, and may your rememberance be very memorable!

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Yours sounds delightful and full of meaning to you and your partner. This be my last time attending at the hall.

Carpe Diem!

• jgnat
    jgnat

It tickles me that you will achieve a higher degree of authenticity than the WT sham.

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

May you and your partner has a beautiful celebration together. Sounds like you have so much love.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Thank you for the comments! I'm trying to do little extras so that it will be our own little tradition and way of doing things as close as possible to the original. I believe that there is no exact way of doing things, just whatever comes to mind, and that your heart leads you to do. I went for years being mad at God, but one day it dawned on me that it wasn't God that I was really mad at, but rather the Watchtower which caused me to become disillusioned with anything to do with religion and spirituality.

We will also take the time tonight to talk with each other how our lives have been positively affected in different ways. Kind of like an evening of Thanksgiving and expression of appreciation for life, and what sacrifice really means, whether it be Christ's ultimate sacrifice, or smaller examples of sacrifices that humans have made for the betterment of all society.

This will be the first time since leaving the JW's that I have attempted anything like this, so it will probably turn out to be an emotional evening too, but I am happy that my Partner and I have each other to see each other through any awkwardly emotional feelings.

I'd love to hear of any other ideas, and things that others are doing this evening so that we can think of what others are doing too while we are celebrating.

Thank you again for the nice comments, and I wish you all a great evening, not only today, but everyday!!!

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Hey Ohio - I'll be having some wine this evening as well, but then again I have some wine every evening ! Does your celebration mean anything spiritual to you?

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

Me and Mrs Scotsman did exactly the same thing tonight.

It was good, simple and felt spiritual...

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

Yes. Hubby & I will be celebrating at home for the first time without WTBT$ crap. Authentic as possible is a very nice touch Cowboy.

If anyone else would like the passover bread recipe: 1 cup Whole wheat flour, 2 Tbls Olive Oil [extra virgin] 1/2 cup water. mix. knead for a minute, roll out and bake in 350* oven for 20 min.

• Joshinaz
    Joshinaz

I'll be drinking a bottle of red wine and eating Triscuits. (I'm too lazy to make the unleavend bread) HA!

• Joshinaz
    Joshinaz

I'll be drinking a bottle of red wine and eating Triscuits. (I'm too lazy to make the unleavend bread) HA!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit