Does the misuse of disfellowshiping promote sociopathic behavior?

by abilenetexas 11 Replies latest jw friends

• abilenetexas
    abilenetexas

We do not burn people at the stake any more. But how far removed are we from that Dark Ages ritual when we tear families apart through the misuse of disfellowshiping by misapplying scriptures such as 1 Corinthians 5:11 and 2 John 9-11? With that thought in mind, please consider the following:

In her book, The Sociopath Next Door, Dr. Martha Stout’s working definition of a sociopath is one completely devoid of conscience. She refers to the conscience as the seventh sense. Under the subheading ‘Moral Exclusion,’ Dr. Stout suggests that whenever someone is excluded from our moral universe, ”interventions of conscience no longer apply to him. He is not human. He is an it. And unfortunately, this transformation of a [person] into an it makes him scarier as well.

“Sometimes people appear to deserve our moral exclusion. . . But in most cases, our tendency to reduce people to non-beings is neither considered nor conscious, and throughout history our proclivity to dehumanize has too often been turned against the essentially innocent. The list of out groups that some portion of humankind has at one time or another demoted to the status of hardly even human is extremely long.

“And once the other group has become populated by its, anything goes, especially if someone in authority gives the order. Conscience is no longer necessary, because conscience binds us to other beings and not to its. Conscience still exists, may even be very exacting, but it applies only to my countrymen, my friends, and my children, not yours. You may be excluded from my moral universe, and with impunity—and maybe even praise from others in my group—I can now drive you from your home, or shoot your family, or burn you alive.”

Under the subheading ‘The Emperor’s New Clothes,’ Dr. Stout continues: “When conscience falls into a profound trance, when it sleeps through acts of torture, war, and genocide, political leaders and other prominent individuals can make the difference between a gradual awakening of our seventh sense and a continued amoral nightmare. History teaches that attitudes and plans coming from the top dealing pragmatically with problems of hardship and insecurity in the group, rather than scapegoating an out group, can help us return to a more realistic view of the “others.” In time, moral leadership can make a difference. But history shows us also that a leader with no seventh sense can hypnotize the group conscience still further, redoubling catastrophe. Using fear-based propaganda to amplify a destructive ideology, such a leader can bring the members of a frightened society to see the its as the sole impediment to the good life, for themselves and maybe even for humanity as a whole, and the conflict as an epic battle between good and evil. Once these beliefs have been disseminated, crushing the its without pity or conscience can, with chilling ease, become an incontrovertible mandate.”

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

pssst, shhh, *whisper* want to tell you a little secret: the *entire* apparatus/structure of the religion itself promotes, and is a chief enabler to sociopathic tendencies and pathological behavior. just dispense the literature and go up to the podium a few times a month, and you can sociopath it up until your heart is content.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

" Using fear-based propaganda to amplify a destructive ideology , such a leader can bring the members of a frightened society to see the its as the sole impediment to the good life, for themselves and maybe even for humanity as a whole, and the conflict as an epic battle between good and evil. Once these beliefs have been disseminated, crushing the its without pity or conscience can, with chilling ease, become an incontrovertible mandate.”

Wow, exactly describes the Watchtower paranoia of apostates.

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

i'm re-reading what you wrote, it is very deep , and it veers into the poetic as well (trying to do school work at the same time). couple things that come to my mind as i'm reading it again, for one "group think", and another is that unfortunately some people do have to become "its". these people are mostly locked up in prisons for extremely violent crimes....once they are under the control of the prison system, they should be given the chance to unbecome "its" though. i see the problem very clearly....you cannot simply say to a sector of society (within civil society), ok you are all now "its", because eventually, they will form together like voltron and come after you to supplant you (after probably decades of grievous hardship). even if nobody is directly saying to them "you are all its", it just becomes what it is via neglect and hardship and whatever else.

yea and at the end, obviously hitler comes to mind if you know the history of germany and how that all came about. hitler was not exactly mr. pragmatic. black/white, seek/destroy. fortunately the WT is not quite that bad, at least not yet lol.

atexas what is your story anyway? this is your first post? that is some heavy material.

• abilenetexas
    abilenetexas

cptkirk, please check your private messages.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hence the transparency in our civil court system. The only way we can have justice is if the system is open to scrutiny. Closed-door judicial committees, by design, are unjust.

• abilenetexas
    abilenetexas

So true, jnat! I heard an interview with a certain author on Book-TV recently, and the statement by him that caught my attention was, "Secrecy breeds corruption. It doesn't matter who or what it is, secrecy breeds corruption." Thank you for your thoughtful response!

• abilenetexas
    abilenetexas

One of the things I admired most from reading Crisis of Conscience is how Ray Franz chose to appeal his disfellowshipment by letter. He knew that letter would speak for him long after his demise. As a matter of fact, it screams!

• abilenetexas
    abilenetexas

jwfacts, the Watchtower paranoia of apostates is precisely what aroused me from my own "profound trance," to use Dr. Stout's expression. I knew of other devoted JWs who were rumored to be apostates, but whom I knew were not apostate. But, it was when my local elder body threatened to brand me as an apostate for expressing a viewpoint championed by the Watchtower and substantiated by a letter from the Branch that I determined to become an ex-JW. It was at that point that I purchased and read Crisis of Conscience.

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

there is an invisible line; i myself had forgotten about this line because i was away from the org for a fairly long period of time (bout 5 years)....during that time though i stayed in contact with an elder who was what you might call "super spiritual", and our conversations usually didn't have much in the way of boundaries (at least relatively speaking).....so when i started going back to meetings, again, i had forgotten about this invisible line because the conversations that i had with the elder were always frank, and i guess he trusted me enough not to worry about the content of the discussions (ie. wherever i took the conversation he would usually also go).

it was only after i started seeing various people from the kh going red in the face while i was talking on various occasions that i remembered this invisible line. one example that was similar to what you state above had to do with me citing a fairly recent WT dvd containing fragments of a speech made by nathan knorr. he was giving a huge keynote during ww2(in new york) and he told everyone that the system was not going to end, because the system would end during a time of peace. this was on a dvd that THE SOCIETY put out all of 5 years before, and this was one of the main trigger points that set a lot of them off. i explained that what i was saying was from the dvd, but it didn't matter. i was an apostate obviously.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit