Appeal dismissed for failure to file opening brief. 03/26/2013 ,,,,,LOL,,,,

by maisha 55 Replies latest jw friends

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I'm going to guess that it will just become an extnesion. You know, lawyers know how to work the system and draw things out for a loooooog looooong time when it suits them.

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

It means they have until the 26th to file or get another extension.

• BlindersOff1
  • jgnat
    jgnat

The way I read it, they missed a previous deadline and now have to appear in court on the 26th or have their appeal dismissed. If they don't show tomorrow.....

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

Aren't the JW supposed to have other things to do tomorrow.....like not having crackers and wine?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Dismissing servant, you don't think the WTS is using Jehovah's Witnesses to represent them on appeal do you? I am sure there is an OT precedent for this (Jeremiah 46:21).

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

The WT is notorious for setting up appintments with media, and then cancelling last minute. I wouldn't be surprised to see a last minute filing on this

• Scott77
    Scott77

"...You know, lawyers know how to work the system and draw things out for a loooooog looooong time when it suits them..."
    nonjwspouse

Yeah, thank to their education, it seems they know what is serious and what is not. Well, afterall, its their 'territory'

Scott77

• mind blown
    mind blown

this has already been covered on DNcalls thread. They have before or on March 26th.

Cofty: Even if the deadline is missed, the court will reinstate the appeal if it receives an affidavit from WT lawyers, alleging that the deadline was missed beccause of mistake, inadvertence, or excusable neglect. If the attorney prepares a proper declaration that makes such a claim, the appeal will be reinstated. This is called a "473 motion" (CA Code of Civil Procedure Section 473), and it is routinely granted and very difficult to oppose.

I doubt it will come to that. Attorneys routinely file papers on the last day of a deadline for several reasons, including wanting to provide as little time for their opponents to respond to the papers. I suspect that the delays in filing the brief are due to attorney workload, and have nothing to do with the WTBTS. I also expect that the WTBTS brief will either be filed tomorrow or a stipulated extension of time to file will be filed tomorrow. We'll see . . .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit