The short sightedness of learning

by CADSkin 12 Replies latest jw friends

• CADSkin
    CADSkin

In 2 years I’m surprising my wife for our 20 th with a 2 nd marriage in Italy. We’ve been planning to go for the last few years so she knows about the trip. I decided that since I’m going to be in Italy for a month and since I sit at a desk on my computer for 8 hours a day, I might as well spend that time productively and learn some Italian. I’m getting pretty good at it for a newbie and use it when I can around the house. My in In-laws came to visit a few weeks ago and when my wife told them I was learning Italian they laughed for a long time. I had to think about this through JW Armageddon colored glasses to figure out why they thought this was so strange. These are the reasons I thought up based solely on their reactions:

1 Why bother? It could end by the time your vacation comes, so why waste your time.

2 Knowledge is pointless. They only read from one publishing company yet think they have all the answers.

3 There’s plenty of time in the New System to learn so why better yourself now. They talk often of all the great things they will do in that reality yet don’t prepare for anything in this one.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hubby dreams of learning the violin in the new kingdom. And getting his GED. Meanwhile....

• CADSkin
    CADSkin

JGNAT: It's the ultimate in procrastination.

• Lore
    Lore
    In 2 years I’m surprising my wife for our 20th with a 2nd marriage in Italy.

Does your italian wife already know about this?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

And getting his GED. Meanwhile....

I've heard that his reading of the WT & Awake! magazines through the years are more than equal to a university education!

Why bother with the GED?

Doc

• CADSkin
    CADSkin

Lore: She isn't Italian. I think she knows something is up, but doesn't know what I'm planning. I found a wedding planner who has a great looking spot in Vernazza picked out. Edit: Face palm.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

CADSkin ...Hello! When I read this , I thought, wow, this is so romantic, which it is, so to understand more, I read up on some of your earlier posts.

You have been together with your wife since you were teenagers. Now you have 3 children after your wife had 3 c-sections.

You are planning on having a month in Italy, in 2 years. You have gotten into shape, stopped drinking and more or less, have turned your life around.

I think this could be the great motivator, to help your wife with her body image. You say, you have contacted a wedding planner. I say, bring it up with your wife first. If she is typical, it should light up her eyes. A second wedding...in Italy! How romantic is that?! Then mention, that you had hoped, she would love the idea, and maybe ask, if she would like to go to a wedding planner, that specializes in these matters, that you could check it/them out "together".

I think it was Jgnat or Mamachan13, that mentioned the importance of team building, in a relationship, that was posted on one of your earlier threads.

With the goal, you have in mind, sharing your life and ideas, with your Beloved, I think, she just might be taking Italian lessons with you! Then after she joins in the fun of it all, smile and wink and give her the ciao Bella!

Oh, I am getting so excited for you and her.

Just Lois

PS...I am sending you a PM...but give me some time to write it first. lol

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

"Hubby dreams of learning the violin in the new kingdom. And getting his GED. Meanwhile...."

When I left the Borg I took lessons in singing! Whithin a year I became church singer in a cathedral and some 10 years later I was at the opera stage for the first time! You have to do something with your dreams. Don't postpone.

• TD
    TD
    1 Why bother? It could end by the time your vacation comes, so why waste your time.
    2 Knowledge is pointless. They only read from one publishing company yet think they have all the answers.
    3 There’s plenty of time in the New System to learn so why better yourself now. They talk often of all the great things they will do in that reality yet don’t prepare for anything in this one.

...and they can't see how this robs them in one of the cruelest possible ways there is.

• Mum
    Mum

I'm so happy for you both, CADS. I've been to Europe once (England and France), and I loved it! Learning some of the Italian language is a great way of showing respect for the people in your host country. Americans are so arrogant to go abroad without making any effort to learn the other country's language(s).

Sorry, off-topic:

jgnat: Does your hubby think there will be GED classes in God's perfect kingdom? Even if there were, it will take a long time to get started because of all the devastation and clean-up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit