If you tried to get your doctrinal or historical questions answered by an elder in your cong...

by NeverKnew 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garyneal
    garyneal

I find that I never get more than a bunch of Watchtower double speak and slight of hand when I ask pointed questions to witnesses (including my wife when she is in cult mode). I've learned that people just want their religion and their associations. To hell with facts.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Your friend is going to be DF'd if the questioning is not dropped once the Elders have "spoken". No matter whether they answer the concerns or not.

If a DFing is not wanted the best thing is to avoid contact with Elders, cancel any meeting with them, saying "I realise now that I need to research more in the WT's literature, if anything is still not plain,can I get back to you ?"

That sounds humble and they just hope you don't get back to them.

Warn your friend of the danger of posing the questions, they will say "Where did you get this information?" and start to mention Apostasy, their favourite boogyman, and favourite tool for DFing.

The questions will not be answered or settled, they cannot be.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Having been an elder I'm trying to remember how it would play out if I was asked a question.

I tried to base it on the bible surprisingly enough as I thought the watchtower was 2nd to the bible.

Otherwise I'd try to imply: ''wait on twat-hovah''(TM)

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

When the elders realised I was serious about questioning the doctrines the faith taught they came to see me. I explained that we were served up information on a platter and never actually found out for ourselves if it was the truth or not. I asked that we sit down together without the publications and have a biblical study. To use the bible and only the bible to prove the doctrines. I said I would give them however long it was and I would stay in the faith.

They didn't choose to have a bibilical discussion, instead they sent a "spiritually strong" sister to me. I asked her if the elders had given her the brief of what I required and the conditions of the discussions. She said they had and promply pulled out all the "baby" literature (brochures/pamphlets) to start the discussion.

I told her that the publications would not be necessary as she had to prove the doctrines from the bible and the bible alone. After 10 minutes or so, I thanked her for her time, gave her back the publications and said that since the doctrine couldn't be proved I had my information.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Okay all... as of now, he's still proceeding with this for this weekend. I'm sick. I know I have to forgive the elders for they are hoodwinked too. Knowing they'll be applying Watchtower Pharasaical law as opposed to logic and reason, is making my stomach turn.

Matthew 9:13 where Christ reminds the Pharisees of Micah 6:8 keeps running through my mind.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Oh and Gary, great thread on page 1... I'm just going to have to copy and paste some comments from it for presentation. It's in the private discussions so I don't think he can get to it.

BTW, your comments/suggestions are being read. Please, if there are any more pieces of advice, please post them. :)

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

"She said they had and promply pulled out all the "baby" literature (brochures/pamphlets) to start the discussion."

This is just ridiculous. She treated you like an complete idiod. Probably she was so incredibly stupid that she thought the "baby litterature" could help answering your doctrinal questions. In other case....maybe the elders believed that you neede some "basic indoctrination". Anyhow......those people don't seem to know a lot of psychology.

• AnneB
    AnneB
    pulled out all the "baby" literature (brochures/pamphlets) to start the discussion.

I've seen this happen many times. Maybe they want to start on square one then build again so they can fill any gaps in their propaganda platform 'cause obviously they didn't completely BS you the first time.

Congrats on having the backbone to dismiss them.

AB

• wannabefree
    wannabefree
    pulled out all the "baby" literature (brochures/pamphlets) to start the discussion

Start questioning their teachings, even innocently, and they blame you and consider you in need of baby food again ... when actually you have advanced past the acceptance of their food of no nutritious value. They quickly lose interest in those who need Watchtower milk again.

This is what enters the elders' mind ...

(Hebrews 5:12-14) ...For, indeed, although YOU ought to be teachers in view of the time, YOU again need someone to teach YOU from the beginning the elementary things of the sacred pronouncements of God; and YOU have become such as need milk, not solid food. 13 For everyone that partakes of milk is unacquainted with the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. 14 But solid food belongs to mature people, to those who through use have their perceptive powers trained to distinguish both right and wrong.

• perfect1
    perfect1

I did try to get my doctrinal questions answered by one elder I knew very well- my Dad!

He was unable to answer them, and I won the debate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit