The Church's Biggest Lie

by ProdigalSon 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Or, here's an idea - maybe you should do some research of your own rather than just cutting and pasting and linking articles from the publications produced by one side of the argument. This method really smacks of the JW mentality. They can't think for themselves so they just cut and paste from WT publications. Read some of the Church Fathers for yourself and see if you come away thinking that reincarnation was the predominant teaching of the early church.

Oh I have read them, and I did plenty of my own research. Clement's Homilies and Recognitions was a particularly interesting read. I can post lots of neat stuff. Then you'll turn around and say it ccomes from "Theosophy" sources and is out of context. I don't think so. There is nothing ambiguous about the quotes I have put up. But really, who the hell are you kidding? You think I haven't been here long enough to know what kind of response I would get from my "own research"? Lol....

It was quite predictable where this thread would end up. "Bing Bong" and invoking the 911 card is all you have left.

Sayonara, til the next time I feel like dropping a truth bomb on ya all

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

And you've been proven wrong. Ignoring the evidence doesn't serve anyone well.

If we've been proven wrong, it certainly hasn't been by you. You haven't presented any evidence to prove anyone wrong. All you've done is to cut and paste from works that assert the same things that you do, making bald assertions without providing any specific references that can be checked (e.g., as I pointed out above, 'Justin Martyr taught so and so' but with no references to specific statements of Justin's to back up the assertion). You'll have to present some actual evidence before we can ignore it.

Fragments from the 2nd century don't prove jack shit.

Actually, they do. The cumulative weight of the manuscript evidence that exists is that the NT as we have it today is substantially the same as the writings that were produced by the apostles and their associates. If the Bible today doesn't teach reincarnation, then it didn't in the early centuries of the church, either.

The canon was carefully selected hundreds of years later to eliminate "heresies".

Not only is this statement false, but it shows massive ignorance of the history of the canon of the NT. The writings of the NT were accepted as Scripture even during the lives of the writers. At 2 Peter 3:16, Peter refers to Paul's writings as "Scripture." At 1 Timothy 5:18, Paul quotes Luke 10:7 and calls it "Scripture." Even if you take the liberal view that these were later works by other authors (a viewpoint with which I strenuously disagree), they would still be dated no later than the early 2nd century, showing that those works (Paul's writings and Luke's Gospel) were regarded as part of the "canon" even then - long before you are asserting that the canon was "carefully selected." The establishment of a formal canon by church council in the 4th century does not mean that the canon was unknown before that time. It's not like a bunch of bishops sat down one dey and decided to select a canon when up to that time, nobody had the slightest idea which books were considered Scripture. The majority of NT books were accepted as inspired Scripture from the time of their being written. What the church ultimately formalized at the council of Carthage was a canon that had already been known and accepted for hundreds of years. Maybe you should read some literature from sources other than this new cult you seem to have embraced unquestioningly.

Sound like a Cult in Brooklyn we know?

Your method of argumentation certainly does, as I pointed out in my previous post.

One thing about the Vatican, if they're covering it up, it's undoubtedly true.

Another bald assertion offered without evidence. To claim that if the Vatican's covering something up it means that it's true, you first have to prove that the Vatican is covering something up, and you haven't done that. If you can't establish the rest of your argument using real citations and evidence rather than naked assertions, then you haven't shown that there's anything to be covered up in the first place. I can claim that there are little green men living on Pluto and that NASA is covering it up, but to make the argument stick, I first have to prove that the little green men actually exist, and then, as a separate argument, prove that NASA knows about them and is in fact covering up what they know. The same process applies to your argument, and your cutting and pasting of assertions without meaningful citation fails to meet the criteria for proof that any reasonable person would demand.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Oh I have read them, and I did plenty of my own research.

If that's really true, then it should be a simple matter for you to provide specific citations of the Fathers where they advocated a doctrine of reincarnation. So far, you haven't provided one.

Then you'll turn around and say it ccomes from "Theosophy" sources and is out of context.

If what you provide are simply references to Theosophy sources and/or are out of context, then, yes, I'll say that. If you provide actual citations to the Fathers that I can check out rather than "So and so said such and such" without specifying exactly where he said it, then I'll examine the quotations to see whether the context supports the argument that you are using the citation to support. It the quotation in context doesn't say what you are claiming, you can be certain I'll call you out on it.

You think I haven't been here long enough to know what kind of response I would get from my "own research"?

From everything I've seen so far, your "own research" appears to be on the level of JW research. You know, they have extensively researched other religions because they've read Mankind's Search for God? You haven't posted anything yet that leads me to believe you have considered this topic from any sources other than Theosophical literature that takes the position you are advocating, and that without supporting its own claims with appropriate references that can actually be checked by a discerning reader.

"Bing Bong" and invoking the 911 card is all you have left.

Interesting that you include that in a response to my comment, since I have used neither in my arguments. Straw man, anyone?

Still waiting for the first one.

• soontobe
    soontobe

LOL.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

St. Gregory also wrote: “Every soul comes into this world strengthened by the victories or weakened by the defeats of its previous life.” (5)

Just as an exercise, I decided to check out this quotation as best I could. Your cited source, of course, is an out-of-print Theosophy text that gives me no indication where or in what writing St. Gregory might have said such a thing. So I went to this site: http://www.sage.edu/faculty/salomd/nyssa/index.html and searched in every text of St. Gregory's on the site for the phrase "previous life," which is within quotation marks in your citation, and therefore should be quoted exactly. Of the 23 works reproduced in full on that site, none contains the phrase, "previous life." Now, to be 100% fair, I'll acknowledge that a different translation of Gregory's works might use different phrasing, but the burden is upon you to provide the exact citation so that it can be checked out in context.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit