I don't get it... (re: Memorial)

by ilikecheese 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ilikecheese
    ilikecheese

Why do JWs celebrate Jesus dying rather than his resurrection? I was talking to my boyfriend about this last week, and he said, "It's way more important that he died." I kind of thought the whole coming back to life thing was a bigger deal, but whatevs.

Do they just really hate Jesus or something? First they make him dying their biggest celebration of the year and then they say, "No, Jesus, I will not eat the bread and drink the wine. Ew."

I'm sure this has been discussed before. Sorry if it's repetition.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Yup, deception can be a mindbender, especially until one sees the futility of trying to bring Pharisees around to the truth.

(Why do followers of the Watchtower religion call themselves “publishers of the Good News” whilst unfamiliar with the “Good News” according to Paul, Moses, Isaiah and Psalms?)

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

The Memorial, held annually, was to be done in "remembrance" of Christ until he returned. When he did, he would eat it one last time. That's the fundamental understanding even JWs accept, only they make an excuse to continue to celebrate it even after 1914, the date they claim Christ must have arrived.

True and informed elect ones, who know that Jerusalem fell in 529 BCE and not 607 BCE, elebrated the Memorial up until April 6, 1993, the passover of Christ's return. Since Christ returned in 1992, there is no need to celebrate the Memorial after that date. If JWs were truly following Scripture, they would have ended the Memorial celebration in 1914.

• pbrow
    pbrow

hey lars... so which one is it? Should true and elect ones have stopped in 1992 or 1914 ?

pbrow

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Larsinger, is this what you meant? .....

True and informed elect ones [Larsinger58], who know that Jerusalem fell in 529 BCE and not 607 BCE, [c]elebrated the Memorial up until April 6, 1993, the passover of Christ's return.

Or, wait a second ... if you are Christ who returned in 1993, do you know of a group of people who stopped celebrating upon your return?

• irondork
    irondork

ilikecheese: I kind of thought the whole coming back to life thing was a bigger deal, but whatevs.

The sins of mankind are not covered by the value of his resurrection.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Here's my twisted take on it: The JW's are an Old Testament religion, and a bunch of Jehovahites. So Jesus is unimportant, except as a sacrifice equal to Adam. The reason nobody partakes at the Memorial is because this religion grew too much, and 7,000,000 into 144,000 doesn't go; so Rutherford had to invent the earthly destiny for the drongos who came in after 1935, as well as misapplying the verses about the 'other sheep'. Or something like that...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They are effectively rejecting salvation. Some believe it comes from Jesus, while a growing number are realizing that it is Satan and His Demons that are responsible for helping us toward salvation (and this is backed up right in your own LIE-ble). Either way, the witlesses are rejecting it. They reject Jesus by not partaking, and they reject Astaroth by snubbing the beauty of the eggs, chicks, rabbits, and the non-church part of Easter and the pagan celebration around it.

• cantleave
    cantleave

True and informed elect ones, who know that Jerusalem fell in 529 BCE and not 607 BCE, elebrated the Memorial up until April 6, 1993, the passover of Christ's return.

and just how many of these "True and informed elect ones" are there?

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350
    Why do JWs celebrate Jesus dying rather than his resurrection?

Because that is how he said to do it. But it really is not a celebration but a continuance of the passover in how the angel of death passes over because of the shed blood.

The Memorial, held annually, was to be done in "remembrance" of Christ until he returned.

That part about his returning is what Paul added. He added that because when the 144,000 are in heaven (which is what is meant by his return), then it will no longer be necessary (well, it is not necessary now, but it won't have any meaning then). Some make the mistake of asking why it is celebrated after 1914. Jesus didn't return in 1914. He became king then. He returned to his apostles when he resurrected them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit