False prophets or simply wrong expectations?

by leaving_quietly 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

In a talk I heard recently, the brother was talking about how JWs had certain expectations about the end, acknowledging 1914, 1925, surely before 1935 and 1975, then we learned that it's not in our jurisdiction to know Jehovah's timetable. Then he said, some say that because we made those mistakes, some say JWs are false prophets. He said that was "simplistic thinking". Then he said, even the apostles made mistakes about the end. He used the example of when they came and asked Jesus when these things would be and that Jesus said he didn't know, only the Father knows.

Ok. Let's use some critical thinking here. Let's compare apples to apples.

Were the apostles predicting the end at some date? No. They asked Jesus when the conclusion of the system of things was going to be. The were NOT predicting a date, nor were they publishing some date to thousands or millions of people

Were JWs predicting the end at some date? Yes. They predicted dates, even to the month (October 1914). They published these dates in their publications. They set expectations in talks. Thousands to millions of people heard these dates and acted on them according to what they heard.

Next example. Days after Jesus died and was resurrected, they asked Jesus if he was restoring the kingdom at this time. Jesus said it didn't belong to them to know. (Acts 1:6,7)

Apples to apples comparison again:

Were the apostles predicting the end at some date? No. They may have had the belief that the kingdom would be restored, but instead of predicting, they were ASKING Jesus. Getting the information 'from the horse's mouth', so to speak.

Were JWs predicting the end at some date? Yes. Again, dates were set, published in print and verbally in talks. No one was asking Christ or God. They were incorrectly interpreting scriptures, setting dates, "prophecying" and saying it's as good as done because they were God's mouthpiece.

The brother went on to say that the apostles had wrong expections, but that didn't make them false prophets, so JWs are no more false prophets than they were.

Then, he went on to say that JWs no more try to come up with a formula for trying to pinpoint the end, and that they now serve Jehovah out of love for Him, not because of a date.

• Emery
    Emery

Great thoughts leaving_quietly!

Next time anyone hears this bullshit, pull out 'The Finished Mysery' and read it aloud. I guarantee you everyone in the building will be storming out with their chairs with fingers in their ears. Every false prophet had wrong expectations and after such expectations guess what happened? They were stoned according to Deut. 18: 20-22. They will then have to say Harold Camping (who they call out in their magazines) had wrong expectations too, because he did the very thing they did in 1914, 1918, 1925, 1975.

• Ding
    Ding

By WT reasoning, there cannot be a false prophet... only people who predict things with wrong expectations.

In the example the WT gives, the apostles were asking a question, not predicting a date.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

Have a look at this! Paus wrote to the Corinthians not to get married or raise a family, because the world was coming to its end.

1 Cor 7:

27 Are you pledged to a woman? Do not seek to be released. Are you free from such a commitment? Do not look for a wife. 28 But if you do marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. But those who marry will face many troubles in this life, and I want to spare you this.

29 What I mean, brothers and sisters, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they do not; 30 those who mourn, as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something, as if it were not theirs to keep; 31 those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away.

So even Paul was a false prophet.....or..did he just have wrong expectations?

• Ding
    Ding

Some scholars think Paul was talking about persecution that was coming in the area of Corinth.

Others think he was talking about the Roman persecution that was about to come on the Jews.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

some say JWs are false prophets.

JW`s only Parrot,what the WBT$ "demands" them to Parrot..

The WBT$ makes the Claims..JW`s take the Blame..

Mother WatchTower Disciplines her Devoted Loyal JW`s..

What`s Wrong With You?!!..

Your Always doing,What I tell You to Do!..

Now get Back to Work and..

Do as your Told!..

photo 10_1_138.gif

.......................  photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

Persecution????? Bullshit! He told them not to have families because the world would come to it's end. In that whole chapter 7 you don't see a word about persecution. That other stuff is just lies from apologists.

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

then why the urgency to place bible base literature.. that saves lives!!! If you don't die in The big one you get resurected..

They really pour it on about the end is near.. then you get baptised.. and they say "now you have to endure".. At least thats what the brother who got the credit for my conversion told me .. right after as matter of fact.. when he said it, he said " that's what the brother told me after I got dunked"

Then I was constantly been Told " I was running head looking at the End to much" you need to serve The WT not and end, they flip real quick on this ..

any one else notice this? They lie to themselves about the end .. all day long as the OP points out it's part of the training.. apocalyptic CULT 101

• Londo111
    Londo111

It seems they give two choices:

(1) Keep on the watch by giving false alarm after false alarm.

(2) Do nothing.

It’s as if there were no other options…

What it comes down to is not so much a matter of right or wrong—as it is a matter of their credentials as the Faithful and Discreet Slave. Is it "faithful and discreet" to give out dates, when the Bible says "nobody knows the day or hour"? Are their actions “faithful and discreet” or “unfaithful and foolish”?

By thier works you will know them...

• pixel
    pixel

"Wrong expectation", sure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit