In what sense does Jehovah feel regret - Why the Bible never means what it plainly says.

by Lore 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Lore
    Lore

From this weeks Watchtower study:

IN WHAT SENSE HAS JEHOVAH FELT REGRET?

On a number of occasions, the Bible mentions that Jehovah “felt regret.” (Jonah 3:10; Gen. 6:6, 7; Judg. 2:18; 1 Sam. 15:11)
    Since God’s activity is perfect, his regret is never because of a mistake on his part. (Num. 23:19; Deut. 32:4)

Rather, in Hebrew, to feel regret can mean to change one’s mind or intention. For example, because Jehovah is reasonable, adaptable, and merciful, he is willing to alter his intended actions toward erring ones in response to their repentance and the changes that they make.—Jer. 18:7-10.

So again we have the Watchtower just redefining words to suit their needs. How can 'feeling regret' not mean 'feeling regret'? Because we said so.

Their explaination is just so darn short and vapid. It's like they're not even trying anymore.

In 1 Sam. 15:11 it says: "I regret that I have made Saul king, because he has turned away from me and has not carried out my instructions."

How is that different from the regret of any other person? He made an important decision: Choosing the first King of Israel. He made a lousy choice, and regretted it later.

You can't chaulk it up to 'altering his intended actions' if it's an action he has ALREADY taken.

I also find it funny that the 'proof text' they cite to prove that God can't feel regret, is actually quoting a FALSE prophet, Balaam. The rest of that SAME verse implies that when God says he's going to do something he doesn't change his mind.

And actually the King James Version pretty clearly shows that the Watchtower explaination is complete garbage, because it says: " God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?"

One of these scriptures has to be wrong. Either it's the one that says god doesn't change his mind, or it's the ones that say he does.

ALSO, they claim that, since his actions are perfect, his regret is never because of a mistake on his part. Grow up god! Take some responsibility for your actions!

How can you know EVERYTHING, be all powerful, be able to foresee the future, but not be able to be held responsible for your own decisions?

And yet us humans, who don't know everything and cannot see the future, have to take responsibility for any poor decisions we make?

End of rant.

• Mum
    Mum

I regret spending so much time in a belief system that is stupid and cruel and, what is worse, trying to convert others to it. Jehovah may regret that I did that as well.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos
    The rest of that SAME verse implies that when God says he's going to do something he doesn't change his mind. [...] One of these scriptures has to be wrong. Either it's the one that says god doesn't change his mind, or it's the ones that say he does.

I think you missed the reason why they cited that scripture. It's precisely BECAUSE it seems to conflict with the "regret" scriptures. In other words, the scriptures don't conflict, it's your understanding of the word "regret" that's clearly wrong. QED. Signed, The Watchtower.

• humbled
    humbled

The WT writing department has to speak definitively, with authority on all bible subjects. It is impossible for them to NOT KNOW anything. They would be out of work in a jiffy if the magazines and reference materials allowed for the contradictions and ambiguities that come up in the scriptures.

They should let this question of what this passage about "regret" just hang there like a bit of poetry that you can't/shouldn't nail down. But instead they'll crucify every word-----(OOPs! I meant to say "impale".)

They have the TRUTH don't you know.

• ThisFellowCheap
    ThisFellowCheap

Now, note something they did! Normally, they would write cited verses as they appear first in the Bible, e.g Gen6:6; Job...; Matt.... Then did you notice they deferred by citing Jonah ahead of Genesis? I immediately felt something was fishy, and it occurred to me: Jonah 3:10 suited their explanation far better than Gen 6:6, in fact, Gen 6:6 contradicts it! Since, they know they cannot convince a rational mind with these illogical explanations, they tend to confuse the ardent Bible reader (and believer) by superceding one verse that supports their opinion over the others putting the readers into a dilemma as "all sriptures is inspired of God". They sure know the power of confusion, tis like a pun we often did in our primary school debates: we always ended with, "I hope with this few words of mine I have been able to convince you than rather confuse you that farmers are better than doctors..." So instead of "than", we'd say "or" and it made a whole lots of things much easier especially when you, the debater does not actually believe that farmers are better than doctors!

...Well, God said he felt regret, I guess maybe he's regretting saying so now!!! LOL

• Emery
    Emery

If we are made in his image, then the same feelings of regret should be the same. I see this as the usual apologetic nonsense fundamentalists use to explain away God's problem.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

It doesn't make sense; because the Bible is a composite document presenting many different viewpoints of who God is. It is right to be frustrated with the Watchtower's explanations, as they use scriptures from different sources within the Bible and try to make them all fit together. The idea of a 'human' kind of god probably originates in the southern kingdom of Judea, with the Yahwist (J) writer.

Some characteristics of the Yahwist
    He is a marvellous storyteller. His stories are very vivid, always concrete and full of imagery. God is often represented as a man (anthropomorphism): in the creation story he is in turn a gardener, a potter, a surgeon, a tailor. That is the Yahwist's way of telling us about God and man; he proves to be a profound theologian.
    He is a very human God. He walks with Abraham as with a friend (Gen. 2); he invites himself to a meal with Abraham and bargains with him (Gen. 18). Man lives on familiar terms with him and meets him in everyday life.
    His is a God who is utterly different. However, this God is the master: he commands or forbids (Gen. 3.16); he calls. 'Go, leave,' he says to Abraham and Moses. He has a plan for history. His blessing will bring happiness to his people and through them will extend to all people. (It is remarkable to find such universalism at this period.) Man must respond to this divine call and obey God.
    Man's sin is to want to take God's place. This sin draws down the curse on him: Cain, the flood, the tower of Babel.
    His is a God who is always ready to forgive, particularly when men like Abraham (Gen. 18) or Moses (Ex. 32.11-14) intercede with him, and always ready to renew his blessing. -Etienne Charpentier.

It is men who wrote the Bible- and they put their thoughts about god into it- and that's all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit