INTELLECTUAL HONESTY....what is it?

by Terry 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

Freud said:

"If it were really a matter of indifference what we belive, then we might just as well build our bridges of cardboard as of stone, or inject a tenth of a gram of morphine into a patient instead of a hundredth, or take teargas as a narcotic instead of Ether; but the intellectual anarchists themselves would strongly repudiate any such practical applications of their theory."

Intellectual honesty requires a match between the real world; the practical world where things either WORK or do not work at all.....and the state of mind inside your head.

If there is any mismatch at all the blurred line fuzzes out into failure to recognize what is real and what isn't.

REAL or ARTIFICIAL?

Jehovah's Witnesses replace the real world with an artificially constructed one. They build an artificial intellect for themselves with the help of the Watchtower and meeting attendance. They carry this intellectual substitute to households and practice it on their children.

The ability to think clearly is gradually replaced by an induced blindness. A special-effects team goes to work in the brain and uses CGI to erect facades of phony "reality" replacing the real world.

Soon, the actual human intellect has been dismantled.

When a JW sees a neighbor they don't SEE the neighbor at all. They now see a worldly goat marked for destruction who must be avoided lest bad association taint them with polluted false worship of a satanic empire.

We who have formerly been these meta-humans know this process well.

Many of us have had to rebuild our intellect from the state of destruction into what we need to function in a hand's on real world of cause and effect.

HOW SUCCESSFUL have you been? Are you yet intellectually honest? Or, do you carry some semblance of ___blank out__into your daily life from the habit you learned as a JW drone-clone?

SLIP SLIDING AWAY

Do you often find yourself slipping into the ___alternate universe__of the world you "prefer" rather than the one that "is"?

Do you accept your responsibility in building your own life with your own choices? Or, do you live in a kind of daydream expectation that "things will all work out somehow"?

Do you cling to a belief system constructed for the purpose of "feeling good"? Or, do you face facts and acknowledge that there may be nothing at all real about any superstitious or mystical ideas peddled around the world by gurus, shaman, priests and holy men?

Can you tolerate skepticism or do you seek solace in cherished mental constructs that grant you an invisible friend in the sky who is watching out for you?

Do you find yourself saying "I HOPE SO" ?

Do you rely on what you call "gut feeling" rather than rational data or demonstrable information in the form of evidence?

When you explain your views do you find they are vague? Or, are they connected to actual definable definitions that can be written down and explained from premise to conclusion?

Do you find conversation about facts and evidence to be irritating and does it make you uncomfortable to have to explain yourself?

Can you be at ease with NOT knowing something? Or, do you always choose to "believe" what makes something ___seem___sensible?

If you don't know the facts about something you may guess or form a hypothesis as a kind of "work in progress" until the facts come along.

As long as you openly acknowledge to yourself that you DON'T YET KNOW you keep investigating. But, if you lie to yourself and simply start to BELIEVE without further investigation--you become intellectually dishonest.

In short: There are stages of "knowing". The bottom stage is just guessing or being told.

You have a responsibility to "Truth" which is investigation and skepticism.

Once you think you know and stop being curious your honesty dies. Why? Because all the facts are seldom known completely. Consequently, maintaining a wary eye and questioning intellect is a SAFETY NET.

What is True should welcome debate. A lie cannot stand up to a true fact.

What is Untrue demands unquestioning obedience!

The RED FLAG for intellectual dishonesty is when open discussion is made out to be an act of DISLOYALTY to AUTHORITY.

ARE YOU INTELLECTUALLY HONEST?

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

Just ask me

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Answer = yes, but I had to clear myself from any religious affiliation to accomplish this feat.

• Mum
    Mum

It's like Dr. Phil always asks, "How's that workin' for ya?"

Some self-deceit might be useful at times to cope and survive.

The Tao-te-Ching says something like, "There is no good or evil; there is no right or wrong. There is only what is.

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

You have to be open and you have to do research. Then you decide.

I've always been Bibically biased because I was taught the Bible was true, so when things looked like they went against the Bible, I didn't leave it at that, I searched to make sure there was a true, 100% contradiction. The result was that the more I tried to conflict with the Bible, the more I was able to confirm it!

• humbled
    humbled

Being intellectually honest about any holy writings (including the scriptures used by Christians) makes me admit that they are carefully preserved by religious bodies. Religious bodies are interested in ORTHODOXY. Most religious bodies insist that only the specially anointed can understand what is written in the holy books.

But being intellectually honest requires me to admit to the problem of finding myself surrounded by peoples' stories even before I know HOW to read. So my mind is tainted as soon as I understand words. Of course religion is famous for this.

But if inspite of all my confusion about how poorly formed my intellect may be, how susceptable to delusion I am as a result, what happens if I have a personal event that is without peer and is of a category that demands acknowledgement--at least by myself. BUT the event is so at odds with my community's way of interpreting or "storying it" that my experience is rejected and I too am rejected. Aren't I forced to meet the issue of intellectual honesty in a whole new way?

Just because what occurred doesn't fit into any previous story line that I had been taught shouldn't I tell the truth as I knew it? Doesn't intellectual honesty at least require that I tell what happened even though I can't avoid using the story-words I learned from childhood?

The story of the man blind from birth who is healed by Jesus illustrates this point.

The blind man in John 8 did not know who healed him and he didn't know his healing would cause so much trouble. He just maintained the obvious--that he had been supernaturally healed . The healed man was thrown out of his religious community because he used the langusge of his community saying that the healing must have been done by a man of God. Since the event didn't fit the orthodox picture of truth as the religious leaders told it, the healed man was thrown away his testimony deemed worthless.

When the experience of the blind man is someone's own experience, intellectually honestly must be matched by humility. It may be painful to know that a wonderful event will get you a reputation for being delusional or a liar, but shouldn't you hold that ground? Not to say you have to convince anyone else of it or make a new cult about it. But shouldn't you NOT LIE about it?

Anybody have that problem?

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LMAO... You wouldn't know what intellectual honesty was if it bit you on the bum, Larsinger58!!!

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

on thhe topic of intellectual honesty, i read an article about people who use profanity. the conclusion was that people who use profanity are lesss likely to be insincere. or less likley to be putting on a dishonest facade.

• quincy_aka_quentin
    quincy_aka_quentin

"... intellectually honestly must be matched by humility. It may be painful to know that a wonderful event will get you a reputation for being delusional or a liar, but shouldn't you hold that ground? Not to say you have to convince anyone else of it or make a new cult about it. But shouldn't you NOT LIE about it?" ............ humbled........

No you should not "lie about it", or attempt to convince others, nor create a "new cult" around the "wonderful event". In fact, intellectual honesty requires one to be honest, not lie. While at the same time you continue to measure the "the wonderful event" against ALL pro, or con ideas, comments, as well as personnel study.

Too often we become complacent, no lazy leaving intellectual honesty void in our lives. It's SO MUCH EASIER to go along to get along, roll with the flow man, don't rock the boat. Intellectual honesty is VERY hard to maintain in your life, yet, it can be so.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

As always a good post Terry.

Life presents us with many choices and out of fear of making the wrong decisions, we often seek guidance. Seeking guidance can lead to allowing others to decide for us. This can be avoided if we are aware. Intellectual honesty involves awareness, which separates illusion from reality.

The search for truth is a personal responsibility and sometimes the conclusions reached may not be the ones we had hoped for. It is sometimes easier to believe what we want to, rather than face reality. Reality is not always agreeable, but it is always truthful.There is truth in love. There is truth in the silent witness of nature, for it never lies it simply is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit