Taking Elders Out of their Comfort Zone; The Little Room

by TMS 16 Replies latest jw friends

• TMS
    TMS

In the mid-90's my wife faced a bogus charge of gossiping. The charge was based on a fleshly sister of a JW easedropping on a conversation. We fought the charge with the elders unable to produce any credible report of the actual conversation. We won the battle but ruffled a few feathers in the process.

A short time later, while at a congregation meeting, my wife submitted an application for auxilary pioneering, partly to confirm her standing in the congregation. The Service Overseer hesitated, again bringing up the gossiping charge. He left to confer with the other elders on the service committee, then came back to ask my wife to join them in the little room. She told him that she was very uncomfortable joining three elders in the little room with other publishers taking notice as if it were a judicial committee. She asked if instead, they could meet with her at her home. The three brothers were not entirely pleased, but agreed.

About ten minutes before the scheduled meeting, the Service Overseer pulled in front of our house. We expected him to come in, make small talk at least, but instead, he bowed his head in fervent prayer. We could see him clearly praying as we looked out from our large front picture window. He looked like Daniel under Darius the Mede making his prayer public.

When he finally came to the door, I couldn't resist: "Gary, it looked like you were praying." His face reddened as he replied: "Well, I don't expect this to be easy." His face looked like he had just entered the lion's den.

While my wife did get the "privilege" these exchanges were a tiny start of chipping away at the foundation of our confidence in Jehovah's hand in matters.

tms

• stillin
    stillin

The sheer POWER that these guys have... Corrupts

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

"Prayer currupts, absolute Prayer currupts absolutely" NJY

NJY

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Bunch of weenies on a power trip.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

This is the silliest kind of thing. "Permission" to do more work for the organization.

"Approval" to preach more or to do physical labor for them. Telling members that aux. and reg. pioneering is a "privilege" that needs you to kiss their asses to get. Cleaning toilets and raking leaves for them is a "privilege."

HA!

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

If the field cirkus is just personal ministry, why the heck did she need approval from the society??

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

If the field cirkus is just personal ministry, why the heck did she need approval from the society??

VERY interesting observation.

At what point are you an "agent" of the Cong or WTS? 30 hr Aux? 50 hr Aux?? Reg Pio???

That's the problem with telling lies......you have to keep telling more lies to defend the first lie.

Doc

• life is to short
    life is to short

I have had experiences very similar to your wife's. When the pedophile first moved in the hall I attended my husband was an elder, the school overseer. Yet it did not stop the other elders from talking to me alone in the back room and unlike your wife I went along with it, oh how I wish I had not gone along with the elders in talking to them alone. I will never forget this one time when the attorney elder we have in the hall got really mad at me and told me to come with him. He yanked me into the back room alone and started to yell at me telling me that my husband and I made him look bad and he did not like that. He felt he had egg on his face and NO ONE EVER MADE HIM LOOK LIKE HE HAD EGG ON HIS FACE AND WOULD GET AWAY WITH IT!!!

Now mind you I was alone with this elder in the back room, it was now my word against his of anything he said. I started crying as I was so blindsided by his anger and he was PISSED AT ME!I was really a true believer and I never thought in a million years this could be happening. I went home that night and tried to commit suicide by taking to many sleeping pills. I never told my husband that I took the pills.

My husband walked in and asked what we were doing alone in the back room together and this elder glared at me, told my husband he was washing his hands of us and stormed out of the room. But this elder wasn't done his goal was to destroy me and drive me from the hall so he could keep the pedophile in. Which he did.

LITS

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

LITS, elders are never supposed to isolate themselves with a "sister."

TMS, I would rather be in their comfort zone where I can walk away than invite them into my home where I am stuck with them until I get them out.

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

I was known for dragging elders into the library, so they had no comfort zone with me. I would call them on their shit.

zed

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit