How often did you comment at meetings?

by LDH 41 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

I have a theory and I'd like to put it to the test here.

I would be willing to bet that the posters who post a great deal probably commented more than the average publisher at the meetings.

I know it's true in my case.

On Simon's forum we have the whole range of 'publishers-' from those that comment a lot ---down to those that are just there. The lurkers.

What about you?

Lisa

• mikepence
    mikepence

All of the time. I always got kudos for my remarks, too. I tried to make the meetings interesting, which earned me a lot of praise, and a lot of abuse.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

As rarely as possible.

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• SYN
    SYN

Until about a year before I left, I commented wildly and freely, virtually every third question saw me with my hand up. Didn't even have to look at the Watchtower or book/brochure we were studying to do it, either.

Then, just before I left, I was taken aside by an Elder who counselled me for being selfish (not letting the other brothers comment, WTF?), and also for glorifying myself.

RIIIIGGGHHHHHT... so then I became spiteful and stopped answering completely. BAH!!!

[i]I'm sure glad we don't vote anymore like we did before we got the truth. Now we get to complain about everything ALL the politicians do![i]
    [SYN], UADA - Unseen Apostate Directorate, Africa

• crownboy
    crownboy

I am one of those "comment on the last paragraph of the Watchtower" type. I don't know what percentage of my comments are on the last paragraph, but I venture to conjecture that it's pretty high. I almost never comment on Thursday night, it has probably been years since I last did so.

However, I always tried to give good talks (now I really don't care). Aside from my first talk, I don't think I ever prepared a talk with more than a day or two before the event, but it was always well delivered (no bad grammar), and I pretty much never stumbled over big words (didn't need to hear the "bible tapes", either), and usually "well researched" (quote a publication). I remember once delivering a talk number 2 after learning about it in the middle of the instruction talk!. The brother had forgotten to give me the slip, and for some odd reason I didn't check the board. I think I was 14 at the time. I ended up giving a pretty darn good talk, and afterward, people asked me how long it took me to prepare it! I told a couple of people I prepared it during the instruction talk and highlights, but they thought I was joking. I was also lucky it was a second school talk, otherwise I might have just told the school overseer I was unprepared. How many Witnesses actually spend tons of time preparing talks anyway?

Go therefore and baptize the people in the name of the father and of the son... what the hell, we just need to bring up the yearbook numbers!

• Angharad
    Angharad

I would comment at the bookstudy, but hardly ever at the meetings in the KH.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

I was always prepared and made plenty of comments at all of the meetings.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I would comment about 2 -3 times a night.
    Very often it would be something with a double meaning, just to see if everyone was awake.
    I detested stuffy meetings, so tried to make them as enjoyable as possible for everyone.

I would make my parts as unconventional as possible, too.
    I should qualify that by saying that I didn't intentionally try to make the meetings a comedy (not always, anyhow), but some brothers had it coming.

In retrospect, it's a wonder they ever appointed me as an elder.
    They are probably glad to see the back of me, so they can go back to their monotonous little spiritual paradise.

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

I comment if I have something important to say. There are those I swear who comment because they like the sound of their voice. They will repeat what 5 other people have said just re-word it. It drives me nuts during the watchtower. My son took a friend to bookstudy and was wondering how they were going to make 10 paragraphs last an hour. Then after 10 comments on the 1st paragraph he thought man it's going to be a longgggggg hour! I just laughed I told him that's exactly how I feel.

• SYN
    SYN

GEESH! I remember forgetting about my assignment once too!

The feeling I got when they announced my name from the platform to do the talk (it was First School too, in the main hall) was one of the most horrible things that has ever happened to me, seriously. OMG. Imagine having 100 people looking at you like you are the incarnation of Satan. I just sat there, frozen, until the Elder realized what must have happened and said that we would just go onto the second talk...holy cr*p....

I'm sure glad we don't vote anymore like we did before we got the truth. Now we get to complain about everything ALL the politicians do!
    [SYN], UADA - Unseen Apostate Directorate, Africa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit