something odd that i noticed before i stopped going

by cptkirk 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

off the top of my head--yeah first they don't refer to him as presiding overseer, he is now conductor of elders, or you will see some use the acronym cobe(body); which i would never use because it infers some sort of familiarity with them, or at the very least, reminds me of kobe bryant who i like, so that sort of goes against the grain too.

only 2 meetings a week now, they did away with the book study groups (which were supposed to be the safe havens once the apocalypse hit) so guess there is n3w l1ght there....

the number 2 talk is no longer a talk, you just read the bible that's it.

the sunday talks were cut down in length to i think 30 mins...

there is now a watchtower magazine that is used for only jws as opposed to the one that disseminate ...

have to stop thinking about it now

• FingersCrossed
    FingersCrossed

New edition of NWT, with lot of nu-lights in it

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

The Living Bible by Byington was actually printed by the WTS in the 70's, he was a good friend of Freddie from what I heard. So who knows if it is old light or noolight?

zed

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter
    The Living Bible by Byington was actually printed by the WTS in the 70's, he was a good friend of Freddie from what I heard. So who knows if it is old light or noolight?

SAY WHAT? I have a Living Bible it's my favorite translation. My intel says it was published by Tyndale and is based on the American Standard Translation. HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE WTBS. It is a paraphrased translation and not a literal translation as the NWT claims to be. I believe ZED is 100% wrong about this.

I think the PO used the Living Translation, because it reads like literature instead of a shipping manifest like the NWT does. In my opinion paraphrased translations can be more accurate than literal. For example the Spanish greeting "Que Paso" could litterally be translated as "What Passes?"or "What has Passed?" which would illicit confused looks from an english speaker although eventually they might understand. If you paraphrased you would say something like "What's up?" in English. Translate "what's up" back into Spanish and you are literally asking the person to look on the ceiling or sky and identify something. You can have fun with the pitfalls of literall translation using google translator or babelfish. Type in a sentence. Translate to one language, then another, and then back to English. It' funny.

So paraphrased is about conveying the meaning and substance, not literally translating each word.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Stephen Byingtons translation was marketed through the Lit. Counter at the K.H at one time, when we paid for literatrash, it is not the same as the Living bible, it is not a paraphrase if I recall correctly.

I used to use many translations for clarification, and often got to the heart or spirit of a scripture that way, the Amplified Bible was useful here too, the Living Bible sometimes, but I did not fully trust the scholarship or the overtly trinitarian renderings, having a JW bias at the time.

The WT will always have their own "translation" to control the R&F with, they may revise the NWT some time in small ways, and take out the more outrageous manglings perhaps, but I think a major revision is not on the cards as it would more than likely get reviewed by NT scholars in particular, who would point out the many errors, obfuscations and downright deliberate misdirection that Freddie Franz set as the standard for their very poor Bible.

I think 1981 was the last revision ? and that didn't change much.

I bet any revision will only be available in English and On-line only for a good while.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

My biggest problem with the NWT and most "literal" translations is there are parts of the bible that truly are poetry or literature. First and foresmost the book of Job followed by Song of Solomon.

The NWT would take Robert Frost's "Road less traveled" and translate it to:

I was in the woods and the path split. There were two paths, one well worn and one less traveled. I took the one less traveled.

Destroying several epic lines of poetry in the process and making the message as dry and uninteresting as possible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit