I suffer from depression - Should that stop me marrying and having kids?

by usualusername 24 Replies latest jw friends

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Rubadubdub,That was an excellent post, I agree with everything you posted about depression, very well said. I am going to print that out and keep it handy.

I actually had never heard of DBT, even though my daughter was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder as a teen. She is doing very well now, but I will ask her if she knows about it. She reads incessantly, so she probably does. Can you recommend a book on that?

• rubadubdub
    rubadubdub

Lisa Rose, Thanks!

I only just finished my first module on Inter-personal Relationships. Wow! Lot's of skill building!

I can ask my therapist about supplementary reading on Dialectical Behavioral Therapy the next time I see her and will let you know.

The concept of Radical Acceptance is part of the program. I am reading:

And I am listening to:

Both available on Amazon.com

• rubadubdub
    rubadubdub

PS I went to a $200/hr. holistic health psychiatrist for a year (ouch!). The most important thing I learned from him was to never skip breakfast. I can't function first thing in the morning even when I'm not depressed! He recommended a high-protein shake with fish oil which is an acquired taste, but is very doable; and my cardiologist is amazed at the increase in my HDL (healthy) cholesterol levels.

RECIPE:

1.5 cups Almond Milk (Tastes far better than rice milk and can be used as a dairy substitute in any recipe!)

1 TBSP Hulled Hemp Seed

1 Serving of Protein Powder ( I use Garden of Life Raw Protein Formula. Plain Rice Protein is cheaper, but doesn't have all the good stuff in the Raw formula)

3 TBSP of Twin Lab Emulsified Norwegian Cod Liver Oil (Work up to it one TBSP at a time if necessary)

1/2-1 cup frozen unsweetened fruit (blue berries or raspberries for anti-oxidants)

Blend until smooth

His second recommendation was to eliminate coffee. I am down to one cup first thing in the morning. That's the best I can do! Caffeine increases anxiety.

His third recommendation was to get a dog-- best thing ever! She goes everywhere with me. I trained her as a puppy; so any issues she has, I created! Lol! Emma is very attuned to my mood and is a great source of comfort. She also requires that I take her out walking several times a day. We just got back from the FL Keys. Hubby and I have a double ocean kayack, but it is too heavy for me. We are looking into a light-weight inflatable single kayack with room for Emma and me. I love being on the water. Do what you love! Do what you love outdoors especially and make new friends while you are at it-- photography, gardening, hiking-- get moving!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Must be why meditational methods work so well for me.

S

• Scott77
    Scott77

Probably having kids should be a positive things to do. Please, go for it.

Scott77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit