Pterism and partaking....

by DATA-DOG 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I had a very nice conversation with a Christian man the other day. It was so nice to speak to someone without fear. I really just started unloading my burdens upon this man, and he was just awesome. I was trying to explain to him my issues without saying anything about JW's. I know it was just because of indoctrinated fear. Anyway, he asked if I would tell him the religion of my birth, so I did. He said, " I thought so..." Then the flood gates opened and I was able to speak more freely. It felt awesome to speak about my beliefs without being on guard, or re-arranging every single sentence so as not to arouse suspicion, or be disrespectful of the GB.

He was apalled at certain things I related. Elder's meetings behind closed doors, no witnesses allowed, the Shepherd Book, ect.. I gave JWFACTS web-site too.

This man has a pterist view by the way. We were speaking about JW' and the memorial, and he was of the opinion that since Christ came back when Jerusalem was destroyed we are not required to continue with that celebration. He feels that we live this life, and when we die we go to heaven. I have to admit that contemplating that view, and accepting old age and death is somewhat liberating. I am open to consideration of the pterist view. After all, who am I? What do I know?

Anyway, I am just interested in everyone's thoughts and feelings. Not judging, just curious.

Peace,

DD

• Pterist
    Pterist

After all the failures of Adventist's and later JW eschatology, PARTIAL Pterism seemed to make the most sence to me.

Anyways there were no set rules on partaking or frequency except to ALWAYS dwell on the methopher that we need a higher quality of life outside of ourselves if we are ever going to overcome the Adamic Nature within, that hold us captive to sin and death. A humble walk based on this wisdom is stressed in 1 Corinthians 2.......see also 1 John 5:9-13, John 15:5

John 6:63.. The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life.

Here is a link that gives a Partial Pterism view of ALL that has already been fulfilled in the book of revelation. http://www.preteristarchive.com/Books/pdf/1987_chilton_days-of-vengeance.pdf
  • Pterist
    Pterist

I took the bait Data-Dog , sorry I could not resist, my pet topic LOL

Shalom

• Londo111
    Londo111

I always think about this when during communion it is said, “as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes again”. However, I just don’t make issue of it. Though I hover between partial and full preterism, I admit I don’t know it all, might be wrong, and I'm not obsessed with “doctrinal purity”. If a person has a different viewpoint, I don’t divide off from them.

Maybe Christ will come even again…in a different way than in 70. Perhaps we are in the Millennium and he will come again afterward. It’s really nothing to be obsessed with. We “know in part” and “see through a hazy mirror”.

I expect that at my death, Christ will come again, personally, for me, or that, I will see Him again shortly thereafter. In that particular sense, He comes on the clouds of heaven and every eye does see Him. Therefore, I take communion with this in view.

Really though…sometimes we make things too complicated for ourselves. Christianity 101 is above loving God by loving our neighbor in this life, and not worrying about things that at best, we can only know by approximation.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Pterist, good points. I wasn't baiting you, although I did think of you and Londo! I will check out that info, thanks Brother.

Londo, this a good point " Really though...sometimes we make things too complicated for ourselves. Christianity 101 is above loving God by loving our neighbor in this life, and not worrying about things that at best, we can only know by approximation. "

This Brother I spoke with said the same thing basically. What if everything was already fulfilled? Would that change how you conduct yourself? We still follow Christ, right? So getting hung up on unknows can be a hinderance.

Peace,

DD

• Londo111
    Londo111

Ah, I just put two and two together. DATA-DOG=Spike=JoJo! I never knew that.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I hover around partial preterism (definitely not full), and I see communion as an important and special part of our relationship with Jesus Christ. Matthew 26:28 says: "For this is my blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's Kingdom."

It seems to me that Jesus showed that we would still be drinking of the cup after he came. Even if the futurist view is correct and Jesus is to literally come again in the future, we would still enjoy the communion cup AFTER He came.

It also seems to me that even 1Cor 11:26 is speaking of the proclamation of the Lord's death until He comes rather than us stopping communion when Jesus comes. In light of Matt 26:28, we will still celebrate communion with Jesus in the Kingdom, directly in His presence.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Christ Alone: Agreed!

• wolfman85
    wolfman85

This is the type of post that strengthens my faith and helps me keep going. thanks

• Pterist
    Pterist

Here is a concise version of days of vengeance ..only 33 pages...If Anybody is interested.

http://www.padfield.com/acrobat/history/days-of-vengeance.pdf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit