Crazy public talk last Sunday: The Origin of Humans - Does It Matter What You Believe?

by 88JM 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Man
    Black Man

wow.........

• cantleave
    cantleave

I am very sorry to have to admit that this was one of the outlines I had in my talk portfolio.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It looks like standard fare to me. What in particular didn't you like?

• 88JM
    88JM

I know I shouldn't expect much from the org, so this talk was no surprise. I guess I hoped for more plausible discussion on shoring up creationism but the whole talk was mostly just evolution bashing done badly. I don't think "disproving" evolution nescessarily equates to "proving" creationism - surely there should be some attempt to address both sides?

A lot of these arguments feel so tired and outdated now. I mean, the point on "we have no morals without a creator" has been extensively discussed by folks like Dawkins and Hitchens. Can't the org at least try to update it's own argument to address them?

• thecrushed
    thecrushed

what load of horse manure.

• Terry
    Terry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDsaZeWrh9U

In effect, this man is reasoning backward.

He seems to be overlooking the fact that evolution at the forward most point is a RESULT producing process.

Whatever the result that end product is the end of a series of "path of least resistence" occurances.

By going backward he is "amazing" himself how each step previous seems ideally suited for a seemingly foreordained end result.

This is like looking at water spilling out of the Mississippi delta and thinking of each twist and turn of the river as designed for the delivery of that water

at just the right place!

The current population of Earth is 7 billion people.

That means each and ever day YOU may say something that nobody else on Earth is saying and--IF REDUCED to a statistic--would be a 1 in 7 Billion

occurance! The odds AGAINST that happening are 1 in 7 billion.

So what?

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

The very FIRST 'fact'I checked bounced back as untrue....

Doctor Denton's ACTUAL position on evolution:

" Denton however is not a creationist. He describes himself as an evolutionist, and he has rejected biblical creationism."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Denton

• Lore
    Lore
    we've seen as humans in general gradually accept this theory they slip further into barbarianism

What?

On the one hand, I barely want to bother responding to this point because. Whether it's false or not, it has no bearing on whether or not evolution is true.

On the other hand, it's just so incredibly stupid, I can't resist it.

I guess it depends on how you want to define 'barbarism'.

But a list of countries arranged by belief in evolution practically reads like a "most civilised places on earth to live" list: http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2006/08/14/science/sciencespecial2/20050815_EVO_GRAPHIC.html

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

But today we're not going to discuss a lot of the evidence for the answer to this question. What we're concerned about today is if it matters what you believe."

LOL !

Evidence and facts can be so cumbersome so let's just ignore them, shall we?

Since beliefs are more important than evidence, I will believe from now on that a ceramic teapot orbits Neptune and the moon is made of cheese. Now, I'm not going to discuss a lot of evidence to support my claim (in fact, none), so please don't tell me I'm wrong.

Some religious people BELIEVE the earth is flat despite all the evidence to the contrary. Why? Because their holy book tells them the earth is flat. So much for the foundational argument for beliefs over evidence!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Fundamentalists can't accept evolution.

Their ideologies simply won't allow for it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit