No professional group good at policing itself

by Dogpatch 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Interesting excerpt from an article on BBC news regarding the Catrholic church and their sex abuse scandal. How much of this also applies to the Watchtower Society?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1898000/1898608.stm

Investigations

The [America-Catholic based] editorial says there is a need for a new system for investigating allegations of sexual abuse.

It says no professional group is good at policing itself. And it is even more difficult for the clergy, not only because they are investigating their brothers, but also because their whole training urges them towards forgiveness, rather than punishment.

"The bishops, even those who have done the right thing, now have no credibility in policing the clergy," it says.

"No one will trust a clean bill of health given by a clerical board."

What is needed, says the magazine, is an independent lay board in each diocese empowered to investigate every allegation against a priest or church employee.

"Only such a board could credibly clear priests falsely accused of a crime," it says.

Could you imagine the Watchtower allowing a policing board to watch over its elders? LOL

Net Soup!
    http://www.freeminds.org

• DeepInThought
    DeepInThought

It must be easy to think "the Institution MUST be policed>. " But you obviously have no desire to do it yourself.. Sitting at the computer and not Being a solution, but being part of the problem, constitutes you a rabble roser. and you have no credence here.. The larger the institution the bigger the strains on its internal thread and you cant just blatently consider negative publicity as being all around truth, for you dont know any better than what you read here.. So unless you want to get into the "rough and tough" and get involved in dealing personally with the "policing efforts.. i would seriously think before the critical chat about "the ones" which you obviosly are infatuated with and think what have I done to rectify the matter, instead of liquifying the issue into idle chat..

• rhett
    rhett

Just speaking from personal experience I know for a fact that some professional groups are quite good at policing themselves. One example would be the meteorite dealing community. There's a very valid concern of people selling ordinary rocks they find out in their driveway as genuine meteorites. Its usually an honest mistake but there are times when people knowingly do that. A very well respected college astronomy professor, his son who makes his living preparing meteorites for study, the head of the American Meteorite Lab who is also a well known meteorite hunter, a meteorite dealer and myself started an organization that polices our industry. We are kind of like the BBB in that we will back up our respective members but to become a member you have to open yourself to scrutiny and have two current members say you only sell exactly what you say you sell and are smart enough to know the difference between real meteorites and fakes. All members also continually watch what other members offer to make sure they ALWAYS deal in authentic meteorites (once you've handled them quite a bit you can usually tell just by looking at them). You can check out our website at www.meteoritecollectors.org.

Back down the bullies to the back of the bus
    Its time for them to be scared of us

• DeepInThought
    DeepInThought

ROCKS??? you come to a Jehovahs Witness forum and you talk about ROCKS?? lol come on now././ thats the best you can do? Your dealing with alot of people on this bored and many come here for solace, and comfort trying to figure out what this life we lead is all about and of course theres the ones who can take it anymore that talk about suicide and other ill fated demises and all you can talk and reference to is meteors!!! you should think before you talk, or else get a secolnd <Or first job for that matter>

• rhett
    rhett

Hey, I'm just saying there are some groups that are quite good at policing themselves. The meteorite industry being one of them. As for jobs, how do you think I pay my bills. I'm sure that piece of Mars rock that I sold to the Bern (Switzerland) Natural History Museum certainly helped. Oh, and there was that trade I did with the Smithsonian to get an entirely new class of meteorite into the private sector helped too. I know the Smithsonian was quite happy to be able to study sulferic reduction in H impact melts because of it. Not to mention getting a few pieces of an extremely rare (and expensive) type of meteorite from the Viena Natural History Museum. Of course I can't forget selling some educational materials to Texas Christian University either. Who knows how many people have rare meteorites in the collection now because of me? Hey, if you want to buy .54 grams of moon rock let me know. I've got it $500 under market value for $2,200 right now. I'll even cover shipping.

• DeepInThought
    DeepInThought

You still sell ROCKS!! What does that have to do with Jehovahs Witnesees?? I wonder.. hmmmmm.. They pave "driveways" with the stuff, where people walk all over.. lol
    "happy rock collecting"

• rhett
    rhett

From my last post on this thread, I'll just repeat myself.

Hey, I'm just saying there are some groups that are quite good at policing themselves. The meteorite industry being one of them.

And in case you've not noticed, there are threads that actually aren't about JW stuff on here. Get your head out of your ass and go read some.
    Just out of curiosity, what do you do to make a living? I sell rocks and do some free lance web design. I might work 20 hours or so a week with no boss and am able to pay all my bills on time with a little extra left over. I love my job!!!! Just about all my friends are rather envious to say the least as well.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

wow deepinthought, that was really deep!

• rhett
    rhett

Oh yes, just for the record, I wasn't talking about meteors. I was talking about meteorites. Big difference there. Meteors are those bright things that shoot across the sky that are commonly known as shooting stars. Meteorites are rocks from space that actually survive the fiery journey and hit the earth intact with a burnt covering (the fusion crust). Occasionaly a meteor will become a meteorite and hit the ground but that doesn't happen very often at all. Meteors are usually the size of dust (maybe just a tad larger but not much) when they hit the atmosphere. They hit it going extremely quick which is why they burn. They also have a very high surface to weight ratio which aids in the fire show that you get. Meteorites can be significanlty larger, up to a few tons in some cases but those are almost always large lumps of a nickel-iron alloy containing anywhere between 4%-65% (65% in only one extremely rare iron, its usually around 15% which is represented by the relatively common type IIIAB irons and the main group pallasites) nickel in relation to the iron. The chemical make up of the two are usually quite different as well. Meteors are almost always very lightweight carbonaceous material with very little or no nickel-iron content. Meteorites are usually silicate material with varying amounts of nickel-iron alloy (between approximately 12%-27%). There are rare cases where meteorites (especially those represented in the CI1 group, C meaning carbonaceous, I meaning Ivuna like ((Ivuna being the name of a rare meteorite that fell 1938 in Tanzania. I've got a small piece of it.)) 1 meaning a type 1 chondrite. Type 1's have had their chondritic structure totally altered by aqueus methods and there are only around 6 in existence. I have a piece of two of them in my collection) contain an appreciable amount of carbonaceous material (up to around 6% or 7%) but those are quite rare and even then there is still some nickel and iron that's been oxidized into magnetite because they were formed further out in the solar system. The reason for that is the solar wind wiped out the volatile elements (in this case we're really only concerned about oxygen) out of the inner solar system and the further out you go the more oxygen is available to bring the nickel and iron into various forms of silicates including the various forms of olivine and pyroxene. This is very evident in the rare class of E chondrites which contain virtually no oxidized metal and very little olivine. They are called E chondrites because the pyroxene has virtually no oxidized nickel iron so the pyroxene is in the form of almost pure Enstatite. Its been proven that the parent bodies of these meteorites were most likely formed within the orbit of Mercury where the solar wind was able to wipe out almost all traces of the volatile elements and in this case the oh so important oxygen.
    If you're going to make jokes about me and my rocks, at least get it straight moron.

• waiting
    waiting

ok Rhett,

At first glance - I (shamefaced) thought the same thing....."rocks?"

Then I read on.....you do seem to know what your talking about - which is more than I can say for myself sometimes. Also, thanks for the educational information....we all have visited museums, etc., where there are displays of meteorites. I just never figured someone actually found & sold them. Duh. Thank you for the explanation.

And for the pertinent thought that some organizations can effective police themselves.....but we're talking about religious organizations, and they're not known for high ethics in reality. Just the perception of high ethics for public relations.

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit