Marry in the Lord

by Rattigan350 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS loves to quote from the OT to base it's edicts. But

Joseph married an Egyptian woman, a daughter of an Egyptian priest

Moses married a Midianite woman during his exile rather than seek out an Israelite woman

Naomi's sons married Moabite women

Solomon married numerous non-Israelite women

Ahab married Jezebel, a fighter against Israel's god

Esther married a Persian king, at Israel's god's dirrection

Israelites could marry non-Israelite women (Deut. 21:10-18)

No mention or strong counsel to them

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hi, inbutout. Heck, I'm not even a Witness and I feel the social pressure to conform at the meetings. I hope you find some new social outlets to be yourself.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

What does not make sense is that they quote from Deut 7

“When Jehovah your God at last brings you into the land to which you are going so as to take possession of it,+ he must also clear away populous nations from before you...And Jehovah your God will certainly abandon them to you, and you must defeat them.+ You should without fail devote them to destruction.+ You must conclude no covenant with them nor show them any favor.+ 3 And you must form no marriage alliance with them. Your daughter you must not give to his son, and his daughter you must not take for your son. + 4 For he will turn your son from following me, and they will certainly serve other gods; + and Jehovah’s anger will indeed blaze against YOU , and he will certainly annihilate you in a hurry. +"

If they defeated and destroyed them; how would any of their sons or daughters turn the Israelites to their religion? If Jehovah helped the Israelites defeat them, why would they turn to the losing god? Is the losing god so much more attractive than Jehovah was? Why would He have so little faith in himself? Infact those defeated would either conceed to the victors, or hate them.

What did the Polish and other countries that the Nazi's invade do? Did the Nazi soldiers turn to the other side when they took women from the other side?

It just doesn't seem real? It seems more paranoid than reality and does not make sense.

• jgnat
    jgnat

And all the while Moses is married to his Midianite wife. Not only that, it was his Midianite father-in-law who saw the foolishness of his centralized administration and had him break responsibility down in to divisions of ten and a hundred I believe.

• inbutout
    inbutout

I find it very interesting that a person who has grown up as a witness, is a publisher but not yet baptized, is considered to be a non-believer. If a baptized individual was to date a person who grew up in the "truth" but is not yet baptized, but who regularly attends meetings and is approved to go in service, they would be reproved and i have seen this happen firsthand. I guess it is ok to preach to others and recruit even if you are classified as a non-beleiver, but if you are not baptized yet, you better not be dating someone who is baptized. Seeing this, makes me realize that the rules have become so ridiculous and the result is alienation of many people like me who used to believe that this was the true religion.

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

Marry in the Lord means for them marry in the Watchtower, so it follows the Watchtower is the Lord?

Or women as a captive audience.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

"Marry only in the lord means to marry another Christian. Doesn't mean to marry only in your own CULT religion. That's what the G.B. want so they can be controlled."

When Paul wrote "Marry only in the lord", he did not limit it to only those who read his writing and followed his writings and went to the meetings that he arranged. He focused on the belief and following of the Christ. But the GB wants it to be only people who follow what they wrote and their meetings.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

"This is a quote from another topic. It reminds me of the May 15 2012 study article about marry only in the Lord, p 4 para7. "If a dedicated servant of Jehovah married an unbeliever, this would be an act of disobedience to God".

As a former 'elder', I often wondered about the org's stance on "marry only in the Lord". This is seems to be a direct principle or law from God's word. Whereas, nothing is specifically mentioned in the Bible regarding smoking. Smoke and you get officially df'ed. Marry an "unbeliever" (non JW who is not 'in the Lord') and nothing officially happens.

On being an "unbeliever". Yes, officially if one is not baptized as a JW, then they are officially considered an "unbeliever". Yet if that unbaptized "unbeliever" is attending meetings, going out in service as an unbaptized publisher, joins the Ministry school, and comments at meetings, the KM (question box) a few years back said that it would be appropriate to refer to such a person as 'brother' or 'sister'. So in Jehovah's org we can have "unbelieving" 'brothers and sisters'. Right?

Weird but with God, all things are possible.

eyeuse2badub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit