The importance of 1975 or was that 1976?

by Listener 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Listener
    Listener

I came across an article in the Feb 1, 1955 Watchtower (Questions from Readers) which discusses 1976 as being 6,000 years since the creation of Adam.

The question being addressed was -

What are the reasons for changing the date of Adam’s creation first from 4028 B.C. to 4026 B.C. and now recently in the book“New Heavens and a New Earth”to 4025 B.C.?

It is an interesting artcle and it is very clearly explained as to how they felt about the significance of 1976/1975. This helps to prove that their later hype about 1975 was deliberate.

Here are parts of the article =

"... Undue concern seems to be manifested as to the date of Adam’s creation and some ask, What are the reasons for changing the creation date of Adam first from 4028 B.C. to 4026 B.C,,,,,

According to Genesis 1:24-31 Adam was created during the last part of the sixth creative-day period of 7,000 years. Almost all independent chronologists assume incorrectly that, as soon as Adam was created, then began Jehovah’s seventh seven-thousand-year period of the creative week. Such then figure that from Adam’s creation, now thought to be the fall of 4025 B.C., why, six thousand years of God’s rest day would be ending in the fall of 1976. However, from our present chronology (which is admitted imperfect) at best the fall of the year 1976 would be the end of 6,000 years of human history for mankind, 6,000 years of man’s existence on the earth, not 6,000 years of Jehovah’s seventh seven-thousand-year period. Why not? Because Adam lived some time after his creation in the latter part of Jehovah’s sixth creative period, before the seventh period, Jehovah’s sabbath, began.

Why, it must have taken Adam quite some time to name all the animals, as he was commissioned to do. Further, it appears from the New World Bible Translation that, even while Adam was naming the animals, other family kinds of living creatures were being created for Adam to designate by name. (Gen. 2:19 footnote d, NW) It was not until after Adam completed this assignment of work that his helpmate Eve was created. Since God created nothing new whatever on the seventh day, Eve must have been created on the sixth day; and this the divine record confirms in its account of the sixth day: “God proceeded to create the man in his image, in God’s image he created him; male and female he created them.”—Gen. 1:27, NW.

The very fact that, as part of Jehovah’s secret, no one today is able to find out how much time Adam and later Eve lived during the closing days of the sixth creative period, so no one can now determine when six thousand years of Jehovah’s present rest day come to an end. Obviously, whatever amount of Adam’s 930 years was lived before the beginning of that seventh-day rest of Jehovah, that unknown amount would have to be added to the 1976 date."

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

The real nutty thing about this is the idea Jehovah has some "Time Schedule" like an egg timer that will "Go Off" and everything will go "Boom" like a time bomb that is ticking away.

Read the Book of Jonah, people. First; Jehovah swears up and down that he will destroy Ninevah and hauls Jonah out of a big fish to march up and down and preach destruction on everybody, and THEN what happens ??? read on : Jehovah sees that the people are becoming more enlightened, and he CHANGES HIS MIND BASED ON THE ACTIONS OF PEOPLE.

Jehovah is not OBSESSING over Biblical "time schedules" like they are trains running through Germany, Jehovah is observing and changing and rearranging and replanning, that is why Jesus said there would be " No sign except the sign of Jonah"

The sign of Jonah was this: Jehovah changes according to how we develop and seek justice and help one another and correct how the planet and the social and political systems are reflecting the will of God on Earth. Its not "Armageddon Cast in Stone".

• Twitch
    Twitch

I am familiar with the book of Jonah and you know nothing of his work

• mP
    mP

Read the Book of Jonah, people. First; Jehovah swears up and down that he will destroy Ninevah and hauls Jonah out of a big fish to march up and down and preach destruction on everybody, and THEN what happens ??? read on : Jehovah sees that the people are becoming more enlightened, and he CHANGES HIS MIND BASED ON THE ACTIONS OF PEOPLE.

MP:

Its strange how the Jehovah is unaware of the lands that are far away from Israel. How come he cares about Ninevah but never condemns anybody in the Americas or Africa or even the PAcific.?

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Twitch : His work as you put it, is described in the book of Jonah. He was a Reluctant Prophet of Doom, and when Jehovah changed his mind about destroying the people of Ninevah he POUTED and SULKED under a shade plant ( much like you seem to be doing ) and Jehovah killed the plant that was shading him, and he was all upset and Jehovah said in effect,

'The plant you are worried about? What about all these people ? Thousands of them and animals, them your not worried about ? '

Jonah wanted to be "Right" more than anything, he did not want to be seen as wrong, or have to change his mind. A perfect example of the mindset of so many wittnesses who insist on being the only only ones who "get it right", never mind there are 2 billion Christians in the world.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

mP I think the message in the book of Jonah is we make our own destiny and outcome and we create our own misery and destruction and God is there, and changes things with us, as we change for the better. Its not a static universe, its flexible and expanding and growing in enlightenment and when we become aware we influence others to awareness and things become better instead of worse, and things like Armgeddon need never have to happen at all, that is what the Book of Jonah shows us.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Not like I was missing the point of the parable.

What was more important, the protagonist's pride i.e his vision of justice or the fact that even the misguided and "evil" are deserving of god's grace and forgiveness?

Now cease with this foolish thread derailment, stay on topic or piss the fxxx off

Silly rabbit...

Edited for language, posting guideline 3. - jgnat

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Twitch - profanity ? insults ? anger ? wow what a reaction, like a two year old.

This is not allowed by forum rules. You have violated the following board rules:

1. Insulting, threatening or provoking language
    2. Inciting hatred on the basis of race, religion, gender, nationality or sexuality or other personal characteristic.
    3. Swearing, using hate-speech or making obscene or vulgar comments.
  • villagegirl
    villagegirl

I am still here twitch and I hope Simon will have a word with you.

You need to calm yourself Think. Are you demonstrating God's Grace ?

The topic is God's timeline and dates for destruction. I am on topic.

There is no set timeline for the destruction of the world.

• Twitch
    Twitch

eh whatever. Rather talk to Simon anyday, lol

I ain't the one needing the chill pill, girl

Ok, I'll try to think

Who said I was demonstrating god's grace?

Who said you have authority on any timeline, never mind god's, assuming he/she/it has one?

And if god is love, as has been intimated, why would he/she/it destroy the world?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit