The bible is a letter to the 144,000

by sosoconfused 22 Replies latest jw friends

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

I don't really remember where I heard this... either at a public talk or a District Convention or C.O. visit or something.

My question is, has anyone else in there time with the org heard that said? I remember the words clear as day and I thought to myself, wow this is ridiculous. I remember the message was that the bible was written directly to the 144,000 a direct letter to them because as his children he left it specifically for them.

The great crowd howeer benefits from the wisdom it contains. Pondering over those thoughts is making me very very angry at the moment

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

Hmm..as I remember...the New Testament was supposed to be written for the 144000 according to the Dubs.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Yes, I have heard this as well - that the Bible was written specifically for the "144,000". The rest of us schmucks don't count.... unless we're in close association with the remnant of those 144,000 remaining on the earth today and doing their bidding and following their specific instructions to us as they mediate between us and God. *blah!!* Total ick. Total bullcrap.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

It sounds like a Fred Franz comment. He was totally obsessed by the 144,000, and now I wonder why we ever bothered to 'study' his books, as there were virtually no references to 'the great crowd', or to the 99.9% of people reading them.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

WAKE-UP - THE IDEA IS TO MAKE YOU BELIEVE THE PROMISES IN THE BIBLE SPECIFICALLY WHAT JESUS SAID TO HIS FOLLOWERS DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU - THEY WANT YOU TO BELIEVE YOU CANNOT BE PART OF THE BODY OF CHRIST- ITS AN EXCLUSIVE CLUB - THAT IS THE ULTIMATE APOSTASY AND THE HARDEST THING FOR AN INDOCTRINATED JW TO STOP BELIEVING, 144,000 IS A SYMBOLIC NUMBER LIKE ALL THE OTHER NUMBERS IN REVELATION - THEY ARE ALL SYMBOLIC NUMBERS -

• Brother of the Hawk
    Brother of the Hawk

Posting this for our friend who hasn't had his account confirmed yet......

He believes that it was the 'UNITED in WORSHIP' book. I will look and see if I can find the reference

• Ding
    Ding

John 1:12: "But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God..."

Not just 144,000...

• suavojr
    suavojr

Here you go! If you have the WT CD-ROM look it up.

Watchtower 1991 February 15 pp.15-20 "You Were Bought With a Price"

8 Hence, the ransom sacrifice is fundamental to the new covenant, of which Jesus is the Mediator. Paul wrote: "There is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus, who gave himself a corresponding ransom for all-this is what is to be witnessed to at its own particular times." (1 Timothy 2:5, 6) Those words especially apply to the 144,000, with whom the new covenant is made.[…]

11 Nevertheless, in a preliminary way, the great crowd have already "washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb." (Revelation 7:14)Christ does not act as Mediator of the new covenant toward them, yet they benefit from this covenant through the work of God's Kingdom. Christ still acts toward them, however, as High Priest, through whom Jehovah can and does apply the ransom to the extent of their now being declared righteous as God's friends. (Compare James 2:23.) During the Millennium, they will gradually "be set free from enslavement to corruption [until finally they] have the glorious freedom of the children of God."—Romans 8:21.

* Watchtower 1979 April 1 p.31 Questions from Readers ***

Questions from Readers

• Is Jesus the "mediator" only for anointed Christians?The term "mediator" occurs just six times in the Christian Greek Scriptures and Scripturally is always used regarding a formal covenant.Moses was the "mediator" of the Law covenant made between God and the nation of Israel. (Gal. 3:19, 20) Christ, though, is the "mediator of a new covenant" between Jehovah and spiritual Israel, the "Israel of God" that will serve as kings and priests in heaven with Jesus. (Heb. 8:6; 9:15; 12:24; Gal. 6:16) At a time when God was selecting those to be taken into that new covenant, the apostle Paul wrote that Christ was the "one mediator between God and men." (1 Tim. 2:5) Reasonably Paul was here using the word "mediator" in the same way he did the other five times, which occurred before the writing of 1 Timothy 2:5, referring to those then being taken into the new covenant for which Christ is "mediator." So in this strict Biblical sense Jesus is the "mediator" only for anointed Christians.The new covenant will terminate with the glorification of the remnant who are today in that covenant mediated by Christ. The "great crowd" of "other sheep" that is forming today is not in that new covenant. However, by their associating with the "little flock" of those yet in that covenant they come under benefits that flow from that new covenant. During the millennium Jesus Christ will be their king, high priest and judge. For more detailed information, see Aid to Bible Understanding, pages 1129 and 1130 under "Mediator"; also God's "Eternal Purpose" Now Triumphing for Man's Good, page 160, paragraph 10; also The Watchtower issues of February 15, 1966, pages 105 through 123; November 15, 1972, pages 685 and 686, under the subheading "Leading the Way to a New Covenant"; and April 1, 1973, pages 198 and 199, under the subheading "The New Covenant."

*** Worldwide Security Under the "Prince of Peace" (1986) pp.10-11 ch.1 The Desire for Peace and Security Worldwide ***

16 Just as the ancient nation of Israel was in a covenant relationship with Jehovah God through the mediator Moses, so the nation of spiritual Israel, "the Israel of God," has a covenant relationship through a mediator. (Galatians 6:16) It is as the apostle Paul wrote to his Christian fellow worker: "There is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus." (1 Timothy 2:5) Was Moses the mediator between Jehovah God and mankind in general? No, he was the mediator between the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and the nation of their fleshly descendants. Likewise, the Greater Moses, Jesus Christ, is not the Mediator between Jehovah God and all mankind. He is the Mediator between his heavenly Father, Jehovah God, and the nation of spiritual Israel, which is limited to only 144,000 members. This spiritual nation is like a little flock of Jehovah's sheeplike ones.—Romans 9:6; Revelation 7:4.

• Nika Bee
    Nika Bee

I remember, when I was about 8 years old, we "studied" the revelation book in the book study.

At some point, I don't remember the context, the conducor said something like: " See this is directed at the 14400, they are in the covenant and take part in the fullfilling. This is what it's all about. What comes out for us (not anointed) on the other hand is more like a byproduct. And we can be lucky, because we don't deserve it."

I remember as a child, I felt so hurt and worthless, and also disappointed. I didn't dare to pray for a while, until I managed to shut this thought away somewhere in my mind.

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

United in Worship book pg 114:

Spiritual

God’s spirit gives positive assurance of adoption as spiritual sons to baptized Christians who have received the heavenly calling. The apostle Paul showed this when he wrote to the “holy ones” in Rome, describing what was at that time the situation of all true Christians. He said: “All who are led by God’s spirit, these are God’s sons. For you did not receive a spirit of slavery causing fear again, but you received a spirit of adoption as sons, by which spirit we cry out: ‘Abba, Father!’ The spirit itself bears witness with our spirit that we are God’s children. If, then, we are children, we are also heirs: heirs indeed of God, but joint heirs with Christ, provided we suffer together that we may also be glorified together.”—Rom. 1:7; 8:14-17.

Two uses of the word “spirit” are here brought to our attention: “the spirit itself” and “our spirit.” The first is God’s invisible active force. It inspires in his spiritual children a conviction of having been adopted as God’s free children. That spirit also bears witness through God’s inspired Word, the Bible, which is like a personal letter to his spiritual children. (1 Pet. 1:10-12) When those who have been begotten by holy spirit read what the Scriptures say to those who are spiritual sons of God, they properly respond: ‘That applies to me.’ Thus God’s own active force in various ways bears witness with their spirit, the motivating force of their own mind and heart, that they are God’s children. In accord with what God’s spirit thus indicates, their minds and hearts become set on the prospect of being joint heirs with Christ, and they accept the responsibilities of God’s spiritual children.—Phil. 3:13, 14.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit