When Real Life Becomes Fiction

by TD 13 Replies latest social entertainment

• TD
    TD
    Yes. I loved those as a kid. Then I found out they were basically fake. Disappointing.

But maybe still entertaining when you realize that J.A. Wight (Herriot) was the drinking party animal in college that he described Tristan Farnon (Brian Sinclair) to be?

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Another bubble burst. I was quite the childhood fan of "Little House on the Prairie" and "Anne of Green Gables".

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

People don't seem to realize that Laura Ingalls Wilder was a novelist, not a historian. It's fun that you can read her books as fiction and then read some of the many books that tell about her actual life. Her daughter, Rose Wilder Lane, was interesting, too, and the struggle between Rose Lane and her parents was interesting. Rose Lane was a reporter who traveled all over and was quite famous in her own right, but she was always somewhat jealous of her mother's success as a writer. Lane's fiction is very much a copy of stories her mother told, a pity because Lane was a decent non-fiction writer.

• TD
    TD

Lane was instrumental in founding the Libertarian Party, strongly opposed New Deal policies and looked a hulluva lot like Maggie Gyllenhaal from some angles. Her mother, Laura caried a small pistol in her purse almost to the end of her long life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit