When Real Life Becomes Fiction

by TD 13 Replies latest social entertainment

• TD
    TD

This is a spin-off from the Argo thread.

Who here has read the 'Little House' books by Laura Ingalls Wilder? Were you disappointed when you realized how much could not possibly have happened the way it was told?

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

Yep. So boring, I only got to the 3rd chapter of the 1st book.

I know I'm going off topic here..... I just noticed you are in AZ. We used to live in Central AZ. Cottonwood to be exact. The infamous 'problem' congregation.

• new22day
    new22day

OMG! Are you now saying "Little House on the Prairie" is false too :( My world is being undone today. LOL I liked watching re-runs of the TV show as a kid and I saw another rerun a month or so ago. Never read the books.

(on a side note: saw "Sliver Lining Playbook" today. Two thumbs up.)

• TD
    TD
    OMG! Are you now saying "Little House on the Prairie" is false too

Unfortunately, yes. It's kinda sad to me (As a man) that 'Almanzo' was a very distant 'Plan B' as far as Laura was concerned.

• new22day
    new22day

TD, you're killing me. Almanzo was a good guy from what I can remember of the storyline. I'll have to google to learn about her 'Plan A'. (btw: I was a little dispappointed to learn what you said about the "Blindside' earlier today. I figure there's some dramatic licence but I thought the main facts of the story were true.) Apparently I'm naive. Please don't tell me Honey Boo Boo is fake too. ;)

• TD
    TD
    TD, you're killing me. Almanzo was a good guy from what I can remember of the storyline. I'll have to google to learn about her 'Plan A'.

It's from her personal diary, which is not published. Laura was as 'wet as November' for a man named Oscar Garland. ("Cap" in the story) Almanzo didn't even enter into her thinking.

Another example is from the book, Little Town On the Prairie. A major thematic element of the story is a rivalry between Laura and Eliza Jane Wilder. Eliza is portrayed as a flighty, inexperienced young teacher who sees Laura as a threat.

The reality is Almanzo was almost exactly ten years older than Laura and Eliza was almost exactly eight years older than Almanzo. --Which puts Eliza in her early thirties with over ten years teaching experience at a point when Laura was only 14/15.

• TD
    TD

Maybe a better example would be the James Herriot books?

I guess the point I'm driving at is that yes, it is disappointing to realize that something you thought was real has been heavily fictionalized. But the story is no less entertaining or moving because of that.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Being a born-in, I was disappointed when I realised that the WT account of itself was totally fictionalised.

I have also come to realise that most of what we take as truthful History from books, is in fact fiction, no one really knows what went on.

Don't get me started on The History Channel !

• soontobe
    soontobe
    Maybe a better example would be the James Herriot books?

Yes. I loved those as a kid. Then I found out they were basically fake. Disappointing.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Real life can never be fiction, but fiction can be mistaken for real life.

Once we stray out of the confines of reality, any trick of the mind is possible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit