"Anniversary of Jesus' Death" Invitation wording

by seenitall 15 Replies latest forum announcements

• zeb
    zeb

JV.

So they have 'monotone' voices there too? It must be a cultural thing. So much for the years in "Ministry School".

The jw version of public speaking is as you say drone--repitition--drone and more repitition. (See i have just done it)

I watched in horror a pre baptism talk where the speaker droned on his talk. The prayer was a series of prayer cliches. He began to 'close the meeting in prayer'-- he got the gender of the one candidate wrong twice and finally he shut up.

• blondie
    blondie

4/1/2000*****************

A Special Occasion—Will You Be There?

ON A memorable day over 3,500 years ago, Jehovah God had each household of the enslaved Israelites in Egypt kill a lamb or a goat and sprinkle its blood on the doorposts and lintels of their houses. That very night, God’s angel passed over the houses marked in this way but killed the firstborn sons in the homes of all the Egyptians. The Israelites were then freed. On the anniversary of that event, Jews have celebrated the Passover.

Immediately after Jesus Christ finished celebrating his last Passover with his apostles, he instituted a meal that would memorialize his sacrificial death. He handed his apostles unleavened bread and said: “Take, eat. This means my body.” Then he gave them a cup of wine and said: “Drink out of it, all of you; for this means my ‘blood of the covenant,’ which is to be poured out in behalf of many for forgiveness of sins.” Jesus also said: “Keep doing this in remembrance of me.” (Matthew 26:26-28; Luke 22:19, 20) So Jesus commanded his followers to hold this observance of his death.

This year the anniversary of Jesus ’ death falls on Wednesday, April 19, after sunset. Jehovah’s Witnesses around the world will gather on this special night to observe this Memorial in the manner Jesus requested. You are most warmly invited to join us as observers. Please check with Jehovah’s Witnesses locally for the exact time and place of the meeting.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

I have to change my mind on this one. I was thinking that the remembrance applied to what amounts to the inauguration of the new covenant. However, being awake in the middle of the night last night for a bit, a thought occured to me. Jesus commanded his followers to "keep doing this in remembrance of me." (Luke 22:19) What does that mean?

Paul expounds on this, then reiterates "keep doing this in remembrance of me" at1 Cor 11:24,25. He adds something in verse 26: "For as often as YOU eat this loaf and drink this cup, YOU keep proclaiming the death of the Lord, until he arrives." Ah! This is the purpose of the observance. But what does this mean? Good to read scholars' commentaries.

Barnes' Notes says: "Ye do show the Lord's death - You set forth, or exhibit in an impressive manner, the fact that he was put to death; you exhibit the emblems of his broken body and shed blood, and your belief of the fact that he died. This shows that the ordinance was to be so far public as to be a proper showing forth of their belief in the death of the Saviour. It should be public. It is one mode of professing attachment to the Redeemer; and its public observance often has a most impressive effect on those who witness its observance."

http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/11-26.htm

So, there you go. WTS is not necessarily incorrect in either the statement or the date. The date (Nisan 14) was the date that Paul said in 1 Cor 11:23, "in the night in which he was going to be handed over". Whether his death occurred on Nisan 14 or not is not relevant (except WTS' position that we're observing the anniversary of his death... my position there is that we are to observe the meal Jesus said to keep doing on the anniversary of the night he was handed over.)

Just my two cents.

• Big Mama
    Big Mama

yeah, but what about the scripture that says .....'keep doing it, until he has arrived'.......... Did he not arrive in Kingdom Power in the heavens in 1914??? So, he's not taken power over the Earth, so what? Maybe he's a lame-duck savior??...Maybe he has other planets in the universe to tend to?? Who knows, but according to the WTB&TS ....he's in power since 1914 in heaven!! So then, why the Memorial at all??

• vexxed
  • supernerdboy
    supernerdboy

I found this on my faacebook!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit