For the born-in/raised in, you ever get resentful upon seeing kids involved with organized sports?

by Theocratic Sedition 26 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

THEOCRATIC SEDITION- Yeah, I still feel resentment towards my elder dad for not letting me play high school sports. I was considered a really good baseball player and my high school freshman coach wanted me to try out for the team- but my dad wouldn't let me as he said that Tuesday afternoon practice would conflict with meeting nights. So that was the end of it. He wouldn't even let me go to college . So I tried to be a more supportive dad to my inactive son and helped him through college financially so he could attain better things than I was allowed to. It really sucked being raised by a high profile elder dad from birth. But I'm pursuing interests I have now at age 53 to find fulfillment finally after all these years ! Not gonna let that cult control my life or enjoyment of life ! Peace out, mr. Flipper

• Emery
    Emery

All the time, I absolutely loved playing baseball. From ages 6 to 8, I played on a well known little league team in Texas... then we became Witnesses when I was 8. I wonder how far I could have gone had it not been for the clusterfuck my parents brought us into. I resent my parents now far more than the Watchtower for joining this cult. I don't shy away from making it known how incredibly dull their intellect is.

• rowan
    rowan

I was never the athletic type. but I remember a particular family in the hall, good healthy young boys, the parents would allow them to swim competitively and also play soccer. big time bashing, but they were mostly normal people, so they did what was healthy for their kids. they are out now.

I would have loved to learn music. at least to be able to read music. I begged for it, but my father considered it a waste of time. I am not resentful though, because compared to other witness kids I had a heck of extracurricular activities. My dad wanted me to learn practical things, such as English, and boy! am I thankful for that! He also funded my going to graduate school in spite of all the bashing we got from the platform for that.

• rowan
    rowan

about the family above, one of the sons recently told me, that when his father was confronted by the elders because of the kids doing sports, his response to them was, "well, brother so and so, I prefer my kids in the open air exercising, and not alone in their rooms j-----g off". they were left alone after that, and always looked down upon. they all grew up to be balanced, happy adults.

• soontobe
    soontobe
    For the born-in/raised in, you ever get resentful upon seeing kids involved with organized sports?

Yes. I hated it.

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

As a kid, I always has this inferiority complex next to kids in their uniforms. I wish I had experienced it....

Why do the JW unwritten rules allow for girls to join dance classes and participate in competitions and recitals?

• akafreelife
    akafreelife

This is one of the things i am most bitter against the org and my parents about. I was a huge sports kid. The hall i was in had quite a few guys my age and we would go against the elders wishes and would go play football agains other guys from surounding areas. THere were quite a few times we were pulled back into the library and talked to about the spirit of competition. I was a devistating inside linebacker/fullback. I could hit people like a ton of bricks. I would have for sure made the varsity football team in my school. My school was a football powerhouse when i was attending there. l maybe even could have made it to college. This is one thing that i wish i could go back and do. I will never tear sports away from my kids because of this. On a side note one of my best memories was a congregation picnic we had when the CO came to our hall. There was a softball game that we were playing and he had joined in. I was on 2nd base and the guy before the CO was up to bat and hit a ball into center field i took off rounded third and headed for home. There was a play at the plate and i obliterated the guy playing catcher he flew about 10 feet and lost the ball. The CO just stood there with a shocked look on his face it was priceless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit